Backyard Patio Concrete Spot

Wondering what this is and what (if anything) I need to do? Anything to worry about? Location: backyard patio, desert landscaping, Las Vegas area. Thank you.
Picture of spot--> http://imgur.com/aw252

Yup.
In this case, possibly due to watering plants near the patio.
The concrete in the photo is breaking up, so this has been going on for quite a while. Redirect the water, improve the drainage, or find a way to seal the underside of the concrete from water ingress
--
Tegger

I never thought of that. You get very little water from the sky compared to the north-east (where I live), so it would be expected that the salt content of your soil would be high.
However, that salt can't go anywhere without water as the transport agent. Somehow water is getting under the OP's slab and your driveway, and is pushing the salt up and out. Or your concrete is really, really porous.
--
Tegger

On 12/21/2012 2:12 PM, scott wrote:

That's the mark of giant man eating Doodle Bugs. RUN! ^_^
TDD

You have efflorescence and it appears have severely damaged the surface.
Age of concrete? Was it sealed?
check these out... http://www.concretenetwork.com/doug_bannister/efflorescence . http://www.cement.org/tech/faq_efflorescence.asp
cheers Bob
On Friday, December 21, 2012 8:53:38 PM UTC-8, DD_BobK wrote:

Thanks Bob. The house was built in 2002. I don't know if the concrete was sealed. I'll check out the links...
Scott

It looks like something undesireable has been incorporated in the concrete. There may be some embedded metal close to the surface. Get a hammer and chisel and do a little digging to see if you can find anything beneath. Eg a pipe or some such. Dig out all the crap material, if there is nothing untoward, a repair can be made.
It may be just a localised bad mix or something undesireable got into the mix whilst it was being laid. There appears to be some chemical activity more serious than simple efflorescence.