Backup sumppump problem

I just installed a Basement Watchdog Emergency sump pump. The pump works as described but I noticed that when it fires it tries to pump water out but unless I jiggle the pump and dislodge what I think is an air pocket the pump will not pump out the water. Once I do this the pump gets rid off all the water in the sump right away. I was not able to use a Y pipe due to the way the other pump was install. I had to use 90 PVC fittings. Could this be the problem?

Javier

Reply to
Javier

Did you drill a small hole in the side of the pipe just above the pump, as the installation instructions state?

Reply to
Doug Miller

its best to run a completely seperate drain line, like out the wall for the back up pump.

the two pumps shouldnt share any plumbing to provide maximum protection

Reply to
hallerb

quoted text -

Hi guys,

I removed the pump, clenaed the check valve and repositioned the pump so that it was a bit more level. Something worked as it's now pumping water out beautufully. Thanks for the help.

Javier

Reply to
Javier

I just did this to mine. I guess the hole was too big and too high. That water really shot out the side and made lots of noise. I strapped over the hole. Ill drill a much smaller one near the bottom of the pipe. My instructions did not mention drilling such a hole though. What is the purpose of the hole?

In the past I have seen my pump running with no water leaving. Then all of the sudden I have seen the water start to leave. Not sure what the deal is. Gosh, and I have cleaned it so many times and the piping because it stopped pumping.

Well I just read about the hole and so I will put another hole in there but smaller this time. My water is quite dirty so I did not want the hole to get blocked. but heck, if it does ill just make it bigger then.

This is gonna help a lot i bet. I love finding improvements like this which dont cost me anything :P

Reply to
dnoyeB

To keep the pump from becoming air locked. If the pipe and pump are full of air, it won't get water into the pump so that it can start moving it. Instead the pump impeller spins in air.

Reply to
trader4