Backup, backup!

Page 5 of 9
in alt.survival the following:

    At which point, you do want someone who understands the theory of the subject. As well as how to write tight code which compiles first time, sans bugs.
--
pyotr filipivich.
Just about the time you finally see light at the end of the tunnel,
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Why don't you throw in the Fountain of Youth too?
in alt.survival the following:

    Naw, just someone who doesn't understand this thing called "Life".
--
pyotr filipivich.
Just about the time you finally see light at the end of the tunnel,
On 8/1/2013 1:54 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:

They've probably experienced a BORING life which is why they don't grok how interesting life can be. ^_^
TDD
2013 06:19:13 -0500 typed in alt.survival the following:

    You might consider it boring. They don't. I didn't.

--
pyotr filipivich.
Just about the time you finally see light at the end of the tunnel,
The answer is 42.
On 8/1/2013 2:54 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:

I saw a piece of a Senate hearing this morning about "for-profit" schools getting gov backed student loan checks to the tune of something like $52 billion a year. The loans default at +40% and the student is forever on the hook to pay back. I knew this was going on about 10 years ago when I chatted with some youngsters who were on break from a "culinary" school. This one. Check the prices. http://www.chefs.edu/Tuition-And-Financial-Aid One kid told me he was in hock for $35,000 for an 18 month program. Felt sorry for them. My wife is a chef in a corporate kitchen, with 20 years experience. Makes $14 an hour. She's in the "elite." I didn't tell them anything. They had enough problems already. These kids will be lucky to get a job for $10 an hour. Making a decent living cooking is a rarity. There's no money in food service, and besides that all the schooling in the world won't make you a good cook. Wife has had some of these kids come into her kitchen. So far they have all been useless.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

You've got a better chance to default on the second coming. Banks give up, credit card companies give up, student load holders will screw with you until the day you die.
On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 19:21:21 -0600, rbowman wrote:

NPR did a report on this. It included a guy in his 70s that is now retired on just SS and still owes some ungodly amount of money. Death may be a way out, but that's not certain.
They also reported 3 out of 4 people in jobs like server or bouncer or street entertainer have college degrees they have NEVER used. Not for lack of wanting too. Not for lack of high grades from respected schools. There just are no jobs and the few there are pay too little to live on. Street entertainer at least produces enough income to live on.
And now the plan is to import more immigrants to do the jobs that employers CLAIM they can't find qualified Americans for. That will cover having cheap labor for the few jobs they can't export. No American employed seems to be the goal of everyone that writes paychecks.
Winston_Smith wrote:

This town was full of them even before the present mess. They come to UM, fall in love with the lifestyle, and don't leave. A few will go to Seattle or someplace but many trickle back. Even those who get a job in their field could do better in the big city. It makes for well educated REI clerks. It's sometimes referred to as the 'mountain tax' -- the money you won't make because you prefer to have a mountain in the back yard instead of the local chapter of the Crips.
On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 17:18:46 -0700, Winston_Smith

I've read about a lot of people in their 60's+ losing their homes due to mortgage foreclosure. I don't know their circumstances, but you'd think they would have the mortgage paid by that time. If over 62 they should have enough equity to get a reverse mortgage and at least stop the payments. Maybe they had financial troubles in their 50's and have not recovered yet or they just did not plan for the future.

What sort of degree? I know a few people like that. If you major in 12th century Latvian art, chances are you won't find a job to use the degree. Accountants and engineers seem to fare better.
I had a guy working in the shipping department loading trucks. He had a degree in Journalism but, IMO, could not write for crap and would never make it as a news reporter or TV anchor and no ability to write a technical manual. I had a minimum wage packer that wanted to write poetry. I did not see any ads in the Help Wanted for poets this week. I also know a high school grad with a lot of common sense that is making $45+ an hour for an environmental cleanup company. He gets his work shoes dirty though.
On 8/9/2013 11:51 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

People wonder why plumbers get paid so much money. Well, if you had to take crap off everybody, you'd want a lot of money too. ^_^
TDD
On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 00:01:06 -0500, The Daring Dufas

People love to complain about others making a decent living. Plumbers get paid because they have skills most people don't have. Don't want to pay? Learn to do it yourself.
People constantly criticize Microsoft. Evidently they know how to write programs better and cheaper, but I've yet to see one do it.
On 8/10/2013 7:06 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You got it Ed, I knew you were smarter than you looked, looks can be deceiving. A few years back when I had a few more pounds on me and a beard that could double as a dust mop, some kid told me I looked like Jerry Garcia. I replied, "Thanks kid, it's nice to know someone thinks I look like a rotting corpse." ^_^
TDD
Actually, the unemployment crisis is in large part due to government over regulation. Trust NPR to blame the corporations for the problems caused by government.
As a small business, I can say that most business would prefer to expand, hire, and open new locations and feed the economy. The reason business does not, is that the regulations make it too expensive to do so. During the late 1980s when Ronald Reagan and the conservatives were elected representatives, I had enough business to hire help, at one point. Now that Obama is running the economy, I can't hire anyone, and don't have enough work. I've got plenty of regulations and plenty of taxes and fees and not enough work. Not enough customers. It's the Obama economy.
On 8/9/2013 8:18 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:

On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 08:04:06 -0400, Stormin Mormon

This is the reason business is fleeing California. Way way too much regulation...and companies are leaving by the droves.

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
On 8/10/2013 8:15 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

On 8/10/2013 7:15 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Most of those Western companies are moving to Texas, aren't they? I haven't researched it but I seem to recall in everything I've read that Texas is actually welcoming business and not trying to suck (no pun) the life out of them.

I've been around for a few years and I've noticed that all of those of a Liberal ilk are jealous of success and want more than anything else, to punish the high achievers, unless of course those high achievers are helping the P.L.L.C.F. promote their agenda. ^_^
TDD
I've also heard that TX is business friendly. Wish I could move there, but I'm stuck in NYS for a while.

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Check it out well first. A lot of it is like Kansas with a better PR firm. The more scenic parts tend to be long on scenery, short on business opportunities. Then there's Austin...