backstab outlets

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid (George) says...

Cheesy has always been around. You just don't remember it, because all the junk has been thrown away. It's the same old "they don't build them like they used to," when the fact is that only the excellent homes survived long enough for a comparison. There was a lot of crap that fell down decades ago. It's why we have building codes.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.
George wrote:

to be fair, backstab receptacles always sucked.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

IMHO the people that should be stabbed in the back area are at UL that allows these atrocities. At least you can't use #12 wire anymore.
--
bud--

AZ Nomad wrote:

But they perfected it and took it much further that anyone else so they should get credit.

George wrote:

There are thirty companies whose stock makes up the Dow-Jones Industrial Average. Of these, 29 are down. Some WAY down (GE from $41 to $17, 3M from $89 to $59, GM from $40 to $4, H-P from $53 to $30).
The only one that's up? Walmart. (WMT from $42 to $50).
HeyBub wrote:

Dear God that is scary. The fact that Wal-Mart is up is even more frightening than that others are down. Cheap Chinese crap is going to take over the world.
Me? I am just riding it out. I was too slow to sell so I might as well hold, it's going to be 30+ years before I need any of it anyway.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
HeyBub wrote:

You seem to have just proved my point.
George wrote:

But that's good!
Sometimes cheap is better, sometimes not. If the only difference between a gallon of milk or a bag of chips is the price, well, why not?
Here's what I bought at my last trip to Walmart: * A package of 8 foam brushes * A gallon of Kilz paint * A package of picture-hanging hooks * A package of house-brand Kool-Aid (I don't want to be accused of being a Kool-Aid drinker) * A package of teeny Snickers bars in anticipation of Halloween. This doesn't really count because I ate them all.
Here's another thought: If you can't tell the difference between quality, good enough, and junk, then you should shop at stores that make the decision for you.
Those that want quality only, but can't tell the difference, may very well shop at Graingers. Those that will settle for mostly good enough, will probably go to Walmart, or a box store. Those that knowingly want junk (because of the price) hang out at the dollar stores (Wonder if the dollar-store has made-in-Mexico Snickers bars? Good enough for Halloween.)
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 17:50:16 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE

Cover them in whipped cream.

Leviton BR15 or CR15. My local home depot carries them individually and in a 10-pack.
Cheers, Wayne
I've also used the Levitons and I liked the positive connections and the easy back wiring. Just strip and tighten. I got mine bulk packed at Home Depot.
Bernie

Cooper makes a receptacle with a screw down clamp where you don't need to bend the wire into a loop. Lowes sells them. You may have to restrip some wires as you will find some of the ends will break off after removal from the old receptacle. The best way to go is pigtailing multiple conductors.

Wouldn't it be easier to change the wife? Lou

Wouldn't it be easier to just get a new wife? Lou
JIMMIE wrote:

Those are called "spec grade" receptacles.
--
js

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the
support of Paul. ----George Bernard Shaw
alarman wrote:

Not all spec grade receptacles have this feature. I have some Leviton spec grade receptacles that I bought for an upstairs bedroom; they do not have the "back wire" feature. I'm not real broken up about this, but the OP did specify what he wanted. I'd specify a brand/model if I knew, but I just know that they exist.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Pass & Seymour/LeGrand has eight different colors. Many of their back wired are screw clamped, but their cheapo TradeMaster line may not since it is rated 14 ga only. Most box stores in the midwest have them, as well as our local electrical distributor. Keep looking, you're sure to find what you want.
Joe

We live in a world full of lazy fu*kers. Bending a wire is too much work for them. They'd rather do something useful like sit in front of their hdtv drinking beer and doing crack while watching the Springer show. That explains why so many products are defective when they are sold.
On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 21:27:10 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You say that like there is something wrong with smoking crack and Springer.
:)