backstab outlets

Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with a screw. After a couple of problems in my home I want to change them all out and I prefer not to haveto restrip and bend all those connections. One manufacturer had an industrial quality connector but I could only find them in brown. Wife would not go for that.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Those are made for stranded wire. I am sure just about everyone carries them. You can, of course, use them with solid.

Reply to
metspitzer

Do you have a real electrical supply convenient to you? not a hardware store or big box. They will know what you're talking about. BTW you are looking for a "back wire" not "backstab" receptacle.

back wire = good; has the little clamps under the screws to hold a straight wire in

backstab = teh suck

side wire = good, but you have to loop the wires around the screws.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Cover them in whipped cream.

Reply to
mm

Leviton BR15 or CR15. My local home depot carries them individually and in a 10-pack.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

You forgot to mention that you can't trust backstab outlets, they're real weasels. I don't like working around them.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Cooper makes a receptacle with a screw down clamp where you don't need to bend the wire into a loop. Lowes sells them. You may have to restrip some wires as you will find some of the ends will break off after removal from the old receptacle. The best way to go is pigtailing multiple conductors.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Wouldn't it be easier to change the wife? Lou

Reply to
Lou

Are they backstab now? If so, why do you want to replace them with new ones that will be just as much a problem as you are having now? If they are screwed in now you will have to rebend them straight. If the ends are now straight you will not have to do that much work to strip a little more wire and bend them. It is not that big a deal if you want the job done right.

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Wouldn't it be easier to just get a new wife? Lou

Reply to
Lou

Those are called "spec grade" receptacles.

Reply to
alarman

Not all spec grade receptacles have this feature. I have some Leviton spec grade receptacles that I bought for an upstairs bedroom; they do not have the "back wire" feature. I'm not real broken up about this, but the OP did specify what he wanted. I'd specify a brand/model if I knew, but I just know that they exist.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

He doesn't actually want backstab (where the wire contact is springy), he wants back-wire outlets with a screw to hold the wire. I think that is clear from the description (see above); he just didn't use the correct term.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale

Pass & Seymour/LeGrand has eight different colors. Many of their back wired are screw clamped, but their cheapo TradeMaster line may not since it is rated 14 ga only. Most box stores in the midwest have them, as well as our local electrical distributor. Keep looking, you're sure to find what you want.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Agree that the bending and fitting to the terminals is no big deal- I replaced the 2-hole outlets in this place (yes, the boxes were grounded), and rewired the reversed-polarity grounded outlets. A pair of good and large needle-nose helps a lot. However, the monkey wrench in all this is if the guy that wired it didn't leave any slack in the wall, and the wires are not long enough (like if the end breaks off or something.) I had a few that were a real struggle to get around the screws, and still manage to fold everything back into the wall.

IMHO, outlet/switch boxes need to be deeper, and code should say no stud staples closer than a foot from the box, with at least 3 extra wire inches between the last staple and the clamp on the box. It would add a couple bucks to the price of the house, but make life a lot easier for the guy 20 years later doing the upkeep. When you wire, be kind to the next poor SOB that is going to be in there- I always TRY to, at least.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I've also used the Levitons and I liked the positive connections and the easy back wiring. Just strip and tighten. I got mine bulk packed at Home Depot.

Bernie

Reply to
Bernie Hunt

That's only because Americans make crap. They could be made better and work properly.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

Huh?

Consider the JDAM (Joint Defense Attack Munition). It's a bolt-on guidance system for legacy gravity bombs. Using GPS it can direct the bomb to within thirty feet of the programmed target from a release point up to fifteen miles away.

With it, we can kill beaucoup boogers!

At about $30,000 a pop, they're far cheaper than $750,000 for a Tomahawk for the same happy package.

How can one forget the TV jingle:

JDAM guidance saves a lot, Precise boom is what it's got, Kills 'em faster, better too, JDAM bomb is the bomb for you.

Reply to
HeyBub

But you forgot the cause and effect. Big Box came along and told us the only thing we want is cheap, cheap, cheap and they delivered on the promise. Some call it the Walmart syndrome. Give most people a choice between quality at a fair price and cheap, cheap, cheap and most will pick cheap. So we get what we have been trained by big box to want.

Reply to
George

I don't recall asking for cheap, cheap, crappy, crappy backstab outlets. I also don't see a big problem curling the end of a wire to fit around a screw; take what, 2 seconds?

Reply to
Claude Hopper