backstab outlets

Page 1 of 2
Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with a screw. After a couple of problems in my home I want to change them all out and I prefer not to haveto restrip and bend all those connections. One manufacturer had an industrial quality connector but I could only find them in brown. Wife would not go for that.
Jimmie
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 17:50:16 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE

Those are made for stranded wire. I am sure just about everyone carries them. You can, of course, use them with solid.
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 21:09:09 -0400, metspitzer wrote:

Are they backstab now? If so, why do you want to replace them with new ones that will be just as much a problem as you are having now? If they are screwed in now you will have to rebend them straight. If the ends are now straight you will not have to do that much work to strip a little more wire and bend them. It is not that big a deal if you want the job done right.
Mike D.
snipped-for-privacy@notasarian-host.net writes:

He doesn't actually want backstab (where the wire contact is springy), he wants back-wire outlets with a screw to hold the wire. I think that is clear from the description (see above); he just didn't use the correct term.
    Dave
Mike Dobony wrote:

replaced the 2-hole outlets in this place (yes, the boxes were grounded), and rewired the reversed-polarity grounded outlets. A pair of good and large needle-nose helps a lot. However, the monkey wrench in all this is if the guy that wired it didn't leave any slack in the wall, and the wires are not long enough (like if the end breaks off or something.) I had a few that were a real struggle to get around the screws, and still manage to fold everything back into the wall.
IMHO, outlet/switch boxes need to be deeper, and code should say no stud staples closer than a foot from the box, with at least 3 extra wire inches between the last staple and the clamp on the box. It would add a couple bucks to the price of the house, but make life a lot easier for the guy 20 years later doing the upkeep. When you wire, be kind to the next poor SOB that is going to be in there- I always TRY to, at least.
-- aem sends...
JIMMIE wrote:

Do you have a real electrical supply convenient to you? not a hardware store or big box. They will know what you're talking about. BTW you are looking for a "back wire" not "backstab" receptacle.
back wire = good; has the little clamps under the screws to hold a straight wire in
backstab = teh suck
side wire = good, but you have to loop the wires around the screws.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

outlets, they're real weasels. I don't like working around them.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

That's only because Americans make crap. They could be made better and work properly.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ?
Claude Hopper wrote:

Huh?
Consider the JDAM (Joint Defense Attack Munition). It's a bolt-on guidance system for legacy gravity bombs. Using GPS it can direct the bomb to within thirty feet of the programmed target from a release point up to fifteen miles away.
With it, we can kill beaucoup boogers!
At about $30,000 a pop, they're far cheaper than $750,000 for a Tomahawk for the same happy package.
How can one forget the TV jingle:
JDAM guidance saves a lot, Precise boom is what it's got, Kills 'em faster, better too, JDAM bomb is the bomb for you.
Claude Hopper wrote:

only thing we want is cheap, cheap, cheap and they delivered on the promise. Some call it the Walmart syndrome. Give most people a choice between quality at a fair price and cheap, cheap, cheap and most will pick cheap. So we get what we have been trained by big box to want.
George wrote:

I don't recall asking for cheap, cheap, crappy, crappy backstab outlets. I also don't see a big problem curling the end of a wire to fit around a screw; take what, 2 seconds?
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ?
Claude Hopper wrote:

that tout cheap, cheap, cheap it would seem we are outnumbered.
I agree with stripping and forming the loop. I have had a Klein stripper for years that has some holes in it for just that purpose so you can strip and make the loop using only one tool.
snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com (Claude Hopper) says...

It's not the receptacle, it's the labor. Strip and stab is quicker than strip and screw. The general contractor asked the electrical sub for cheap, and the electrical sub delivered. If you can set and torque screw terminals in 2 seconds, you need to go into business.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.
Larry Caldwell wrote:

consider value. Now its cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap. So they demand cheap from the builder and the builder demands cheap from the subs and the subs demand cheap from their suppliers.

I don't know why people keep picking on walmart in particular. It's no different than the supermarket chains, or any other large chain. Supermarkets killed the local farmers markets. Target, Kmart, and Walmart are pretty much the same kind of company. Sears was doing it 40 years ago. Competition from mail order outlets has been going on for >100 years.
Bitch bitch bitch. If you want to compete with walmart&co, you simply have to find a niche and do it better at least until walmart copies you. Farmers markets stay in business by providing niche products (organic, etc.) Lots of small bookstores, retail outlets have done the same. Or pretend that you don't have to improve and watch the local supermarket kill your business.
snipped-for-privacy@PremoveOBthisOX.COM (AZ Nomad) says...

Plus, back stab receptacles have been around a lot longer than Wal-mart has.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.
Larry Caldwell wrote:

version of a lot of stuff and the current version.
George wrote:

You mean like dentistry?
HeyBub wrote:

George wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me if they did; I believe they have optometrists now.
nate