Backsplash Tiling Question

I'm remodeling my kitchen and had to remove the drywall. I'm planning on installing an 18" high tile backsplash above the counter tops. Should I install cement backer board in this section or just drywall?

Thanks

Kenny

Reply to
Kenny

Kenny wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ispwest.com:

Cement backer board would be best.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

An 18" high backsplash? Seeing that most typical backsplashes are, like, somewhere around 6" or slightly more than that high, I'm led to wonder exactly what you plan on doing in that sink to warrant an 18" backsplash. Bathing wildlife? Kinky water sports in the sink? Water Jarts? What? Unless your or your wife is a goose, I can't imagine a backsplash needing to be quite that tall.

What you install as your underlayment -- either backer board or plain drywall -- seems kinda inconsequential and perhaps overkill since backer is usually only necessary for high- and continuous-water applications, like behind shower stalls. In fact, depending on what you have in mind for that space, I'd be looking more at whether to install backer vs. some good old-fashioned 1/2" or 3/4" plywood, maybe, not drywall. In your case, sealing the final layer of tile and grout really well to ward off the occasional spill or spray would sem to suffice, unless I'm just all wrong or slightly misguided about this whole thing.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

Not odd at all. I have tiled countertops and the same tile up the wall from countertop to cupboard-bottom. About 18" except under the window, where it's more like 10-12".

Sorry I can't answer the OP's question. The work was done by a contractor and I wasn't paying attention.

Reply to
Frogleg

Drywall should be fine. Cement backer is overkill for an area that seldom experiences much moisture.

There are two other options if you decide that drywall is not the right choice.

  1. greenboard - water resistant drywall

  1. Denshield, a water proof competitor to cement board that is infinitely easier to work with and the same cost. It water resistant drywall with a waterproof fiberglass type coating. Available at HD.

There's also Rhino board which is rated to wet locations but for some reason they never mention using it on walls, just floors and counter-tops.

RS

Disclaimer: Not an professi> I'm remodeling my kitchen and had to remove the drywall. I'm planning

Reply to
Rob S

Reply to
Steven Bliss

Yeah, that's standard "full backsplash".

Richard J Kinch

Wow, cool. What a great idea.

Reply to
John Hines

Reply to
Art Todesco

Ok, but what to do when the counter runs past the upper cabinet, and the wall runs all the way to the ceiling?

Is there a clean way to top it off? I guess, just like one would a shorter backsplash.

Reply to
John Hines

Bullnose tile or trim

Reply to
Lou W

Bullnose, border, listello, or chair-rail trim tiles.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Reply to
Art Todesco

Thanks (to all). I'm getting some great ideas here.

Reply to
John Hines