Backsplash: Tiles over Painted Drywall?

My tile experience has been on replacement floors or over cement board. I (well, SWMBO) want to put a tile backsplash above the backsplash built into the kitchen countertop. The wall is painted (many coats) drywall, in reasonably good shape, just a few small divots through to the gypsum.

Do I have to do anything special to prep the wall beyond light sanding and cleaning? Anything special in the way of mastic/glue/mud?

Any other gotcha's I should know about before I start?

TIA, Chris

Reply to
chrish57

Gotta watch this thread 'cause I'm in the same boat....

Reply to
Al

If the tile is high-priced stuff, you may want to use some thin backer board, such as 1/4" Wedi board. That's about the easiest to work backer board as well. But generally, for what you're doing, using mastic or premixed thinset will be fine. I wouldn't worry too much about the stray splash onto the tile, but you should definitely pay attention to the countertop/tile intersection and make sure you do a good job. Another little trick is to use the flat side of the trowel and give the drywall a thin uniform skim coat, let it set up overnight, then install the tile the next day in the regular way with the notched side of the trowel. That skim coat will serve as down and dirty waterproofing.

RicodJour

I would use mastic, as long as the paint is bonded well and not flaking. That stuff sticks to anything.

I've primed walls (essentially the same as encountering "used" well-stuck paint) before tiling with mastic and so far no problems (since 1983).

Reply to
Bob(but not THAT Bob)

I'd use mastic, and I wouldn't bother sanding.

If you have any kind of border going on, watch the joint pattern if it passes through outlets, etc.- keep them "on center".

If the joints are tight, use unsanded grout.

Clean the snot out of it with LOTS of clean water, but don't wash out the joints.

When the grout is good and set buff any haze off with a towel. Look around from different angles and make sure you get it all or you'll be sorry. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote in news:77f1942a-8678-43f6-aae1-84e93a6e7527 @f16g2000vbf.googlegroups.com:

You may need to put box extenders on any electrical boxes on the wall you will be tiling, to allow for extra thickness of the tiles.

Larry

Reply to
GoHabsGo