Backerboard instructions a little thin

After Hardibacker is set and screwed down, you have to tape the joints before tiling. They say to first fill the joints with the same mortar used to set the tile. Then, embed 2" wide high-strength alkali-resistant glass fiber tapein the mortar and level.

Well, they recommend a 1/8in gap between sheet edges, so I'm going to fill that gap, and strike it off level with the board. What will the

2in tape be embedded in then? Otherwise, I have to not only fill the gap, but also spread more mortar on top of this for 2in and embed this tape.

The tape and additional mortar take up space, so how do you level this extra mortar and tape with the rest of the board? Even if all you did was strike off the mortar flush with the board, and then just stick down adhesive-backed glass fiber tape, that tape would, just by itself, stick up.

How do I get this level, when it takes up space and will make a bump?

Reply to
terphenyl

The tape-mortar bump should be pretty low. When you put a quarter inch of mortar on top to set the tile on it should smooth out just fine.

Bill Gill

Reply to
Bill Gill

I lay the tile and embed the fiberglass tape in the same step to avoid the problem you describe.

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

No