Backerboard

Can/should cement backerboard (1/4" wonderboard, specifically) be installed over vinyl tile?
Yes, I'm looking for a shortcut if there is one.
Thanks, Jodi

installed
best pratice is to remove the vinyl tile. Taking short cuts always bite me in the ass.
Jodi,
If applying the backerboard over a wood subfloor - yes, with nails and adhesive.
Concrete slab - no. I believe the manufacturer advises the same.