"Back Wired" Switch Question

Hello:

Curious about the term, and usage of, "back wiring" as it applies to simple residential wall switches:

The kind of switches I've used in my house over the years that had a "back wired" provision were that they were simply provided with holes for the stripped wires that, once pushed into, were held by spring loaded grippers internally.

But I see that the term is also apparently used for the metal plate that some switches now come with which is under the normal wire holding screws. This plate has a simple groove in it that apparently you push the stripped wire into. The screw, when tightened, applies pressure to this thin plate and thus holds the stripped wire in place via the plate's groove. Guess you could call it a pressure-plate.

a. Really want to be sure that I am using it right: is this a correct description of how it is supposed to be used ?

b. Also, which is best: the holes in the back, this pressure plate approach, or the screws themselves.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Either method with the screw is fine. Just don't rely on the spring tension push in jobs.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Screws are best; sometimes they are difficult for one reason or another and then the pressure plate is adequate. The holes in the back are terrible and should never be used. In fact, switches with holes in the back are terrible and should never be used.

Reply to
toller

IMHO, the back-wired screw-clamp terminals are best, and a 3/4 wrap clockwise around the screws is a close second. The spring-loaded back-things aren't much good, but at least they've gotten better now that they will only accept a #14 wire.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob