Back Up Power for Refrigerator/Freezer

What kind of car?
Are we talking about a precision-made Toyota or some piece of shit built by Obama Motors?
On 10/12/2013 5:58 PM, Sy Philis wrote:

Toyotas make engine noise, and Obama Motors vehicles just have a faint, but irritating whine?
On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 21:53:47 -0400, Stormin Mormon

S/faint, but/incessant, /
On 10/11/2013 08:05 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

ROFLMAO!
First, Chinaman take all US jobs. Then Chinaman take all US money. Then, unemployed US workers drain unemployment system. Then, bankrupt unemployed US workers fake disability and drain Social Security Disability program.
Screaming sound you hear is Chinaman coming for repayment of trade deficit.
But don't worry, we will all soon have Obamacare and a job in Chinaman's sweat-shop. ;-)
On 10/12/2013 12:33 PM, Smarty Pants wrote:

My sense, is that over regulation in the USA (and unions) priced us out of the markets. The Chinese use sweat shops, and cheep labor. When Way Tu Smart and Long Time Think call for their debt, we may end up being owned by the Chinese.
On 10/12/2013 12:33 PM, Smarty Pants wrote:

My pleasure. Glad someone enjoys my twisted sense of humor.
On 10/11/2013 4:16 AM, Smarty Pants wrote:

I installed a number of different Generac systems back in the 1990's and the water cooled units had a critical grade muffler on top and those units were very quiet. The air cooled 8kw gensets with the B&S Vanguard V-twin engines were louder but made no more noise than a typical air conditioner condensing unit. The last Generac genset I installed was within the last 10 years and it had the big Generac manufactured air cooled V-twin and it was extremely quiet for an air cooled generator. ^_^
TDD
On Friday, October 11, 2013 1:11:06 PM UTC-4, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Did they sound like the one in the youtube video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cJX8M2VvKk

That is what the one's I've heard sound like.
On 10/11/2013 12:23 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

That one is loud because it's a 14kw air cooled and to get that power level from the big V-twin it must run a 3,600rpm. I'll bet an 8kw unit running the same air cooled engine at 1,800rpm would be very quiet. ^_^
TDD

Ever since power company deregulation, electric service here has been declining.
Typical thunderstorm = 36 hour outage. More severe thunderstorm with straight line winds = 96 hour outage.
But, since customers want cheap electric power and investors demand ever-higher dividends, I don't see grid reliability improving.
So yeah, my next genset will be an 1800 rpm model.
On 10/10/2013 06:08 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:
[snip]

There was a storm here that caused a 5-day power outage (thees fell on power line). According to the noise, a lot of people were running generators all night. The weather was OK (no need for heat/AC). I know of one man on the block who has sleep apnea (needs to run breathing machine).
BTW, I considered sleeping outside one night (no excessive light), but it was too noisy.
--
75 days until The winter celebration (Wed 25 Dec, 2013 12:00:00 AM for 1
day).
> There was a storm here that caused a 5-day power outage (thees fell on p ower line). According to the noise, a lot of people were running generators all night. The weather was OK (no need for heat/AC). I know of one man on the block who has sleep apnea (needs to run breathing machine). BTW, I cons idered sleeping outside one night (no excessive light), but it was too nois y.
some people need to keep the sump pump going, especially after a storm.
Mark
Per snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net:

I can think of an alternative possibility: neighbors driven half crazy by the racket from an el-cheapo gennie. Maybe not *all* that probable, but I suspect I've been close to pissing in one guy's gas tank more than once.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 10/11/2013 4:41 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I wasn't all that impressed with the guy around the corner from me, and his 24/7 generator. But who knows, might need Cpap.
On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 18:09:18 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Right. They should get their Obamagenerator.
On 10/09/2013 12:20 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

For something like a refrigerator you will really need a generator.
However, in the event of a power failure...if you DO NOT open the doors your food will stay good for up to 24 hours or more. (Depending on ambient temperature of course.)

That's in defrost. You would have to measure normal operation.
Greg
On Wednesday, October 9, 2013 1:20:15 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

s down for extended periods. I need enough power to run our side-by-side r efrigerator/freezer, a small fan, and charge a couple iPhones and a laptop computer. The tag on the inside of the refrigerator says Full Load Amp: 6. 5. How much more will the motor draw at startup? Do I need to size for st artup or normal operating conditions?

nt in sizing a backup system? If so, how can I use it?

I have a 6,500 watt portable, gas powered generator for power outages. I ra n a Romex line from the generator, where it plugs into the generator outlet , to an outlet box I installed near where the refrigerator and freezer plug into the house current. When the power goes out, I start the generator, un plug the appliances from the house outlet and plug them into the generator outlet. It's essentially a permanently placed extension cord. There are sim ilar arrangements for the pump (we have a well), boiler, etc. We have LED r echargeable lanterns plugged in around the house so they're always charged and ready for an outage.
I looked into an auto-on, whole house back-up generator but that came to ab out $15,000 installed, so I'm sticking with my current setup.
Paul
On Wed, 9 Oct 2013 10:20:15 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Just for the record, I've had power failures up to 3 days and have never lost any food during one. Even while the news is full of stories about throwing food away.
I open the fridge and freezer doors as little as possible and I keep them open probably no more than 10 seconds, unless it takes longer than that to remove the food.
It's still cold in the freezer when the power is restored and quite cold where the boxes are stored with other food above and next to it.
I eat, or cook and eat, the things that have the least shelf life. I monitor the ice cream to see how quickly i have to eat it. Even though it doesn't spoil until days after it's a liquid, I don't like to eat it after it's liquid.
It's just me living here, but I usually keep the fridge and freezer pretty full. If there was more than one person here, I'd have even less trouble eating the food before it's bad.
If I were having trouble doing that, I'd cook some of the food, especially unfrozen meat, becaues it keeps longer at the same temp when it's cooked. I have an electric stove, but my outdoor grill runs on propane.
Per micky:

A little-appreciated upside of power outages: "Well, we'd better eat the rest of this ice cream before it goes bad!"
--
Pete Cresswell