B&S 5HP Valve Spring ?

I disassembled a 5hp b&s off an old wards tiller due to lack of compression . Intake valve was stuck open. But I didn't pay attention when I took it apart and now I realize that the two valve springs are not the same size. The lengths of the valves are the same and both use the same retainer. But one spring is definitely a bit longer and stronger than the other. And I' ve found varying answers while searching the internet as to which spring go es on which valve. Anyone else run into this and remember?
IIRC, the exhaust spring is heavier, cause it gets hotter during operation. It's been a couple decades since I took my small engine repair course. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I disassembled a 5hp b&s off an old wards tiller due to lack of compression. Intake valve was stuck open. But I didn't pay attention when I took it apart and now I realize that the two valve springs are not the same size. The lengths of the valves are the same and both use the same retainer. But one spring is definitely a bit longer and stronger than the other. And I've found varying answers while searching the internet as to which spring goes on which valve. Anyone else run into this and remember?
On Saturday, June 29, 2013 10:38:34 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

That does make sense. So far the exhaust is winning. I'm still waiting on rings and gaskets so I don't have to commit yet.
Plus I cleaned up the valves and see that I need to adjust the clearance a little by grinding on the ends of the stems.
I do remember the spec for valve clearance. And the procedure. Learned this in a small engine repair course. Came in handy one time when I met a mower repairman who lived near me. We got to talking, and he had a customer's mower that was giving him fits. Couldn't figure out what was wrong. I checked valve clearance, and the rest is history. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
That does make sense. So far the exhaust is winning. I'm still waiting on rings and gaskets so I don't have to commit yet.
Plus I cleaned up the valves and see that I need to adjust the clearance a little by grinding on the ends of the stems.
Well, Briggs & Stratton 5 HP engines are common on snow blowers, and I expect rototillers as well, so I expect any place that repairs outdoor power equipment would be able to tell you for sure.
--
nestork

On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 17:14:13 +0200, nestork

That would be my answer too. If the op acts stupid and humiliated, that will make it even more fun for the pro to tell him the answer.
I'll bet it's the same for all engines with different size springs. AFAIK, cars have the same size springs for intake and exhaust.

Some do, some do not.
On Sunday, June 30, 2013 1:25:20 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:

Not many places left that repair small engines. Besides I can here to get an actual answer which it did. From the comfort of my home too.
Not all cars do.
On 06/29/2013 07:16 AM, jamesgang wrote:

My WAG would be that the intake spring would be stiffer, because it needs to ensure the valve shuts regardless of the vacuum in the cylinder.
Complete WAG, though.
Jon
On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 17:26:02 -0700, Jon Danniken

"atmospheric" engines used the vacuum to open the (intake) valve without aid of a camshaft. The intake valve spring in this case was very light.