B&D lawnmower. How to remove blade from electric lawnmower?

Page 2 of 2

Look at this picture of the armature. Notice the flat spots on the shaft. At the very least attempt to hold the armature on the flats.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tools-Part-Direct-242028-08-Armature-Part-Assy-New_W0QQitemZ250451489071QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a5012712f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparmse%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1240%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:45:29 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

On many (at least some) cheap electric mowers the blade is sandwiched between 2 big washers. The washers have "D" holes but the hole in the blade is round - makes a "slip clutch" to protect the motor shaft.
Usually not worth replacing a blade on them either.
Some motors have an "allen" end in the shaft - you hold the shaft with an allen wrench and turn the nut - never seen it on a mower, but it's possible.
Also, are you sure it's not a left hand thread???
On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 22:32:13 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I take it the flat part of the "D's" mate with the flat on the shaft. If this is so then this set up would more accurately be described as a cheap design.

The motor shaft on the MM525 has at least one flat machined into the motor shaft that a wrench can secure.

The picture of the armature does appear to have left hand threads.
On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 00:45:18 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Thanks for all the help.
Well, I got it off by putting a little liquid wrench type stuff on it, putting on a 3/4" end wrench and hitting the wrench with a hammer 10 to 20 times. The shaft just turned with the wrench, but it must have done something, because the last time I hit it, the wrench turned more than the shaft. After that the whole job was quick and easy.

I was trying to write a post last night to explain this, but I got stymied and didn't finish it. You do a pretty good job and I may not bother to finish it. (Although in this case one piece of bread of the sandwich is the fan, and only one washer, the one at the end has a D hole (in this case, with flats on two opposite sides) and it has two slip clutches, between the metal washer I desribe and a plastic washer of the same size, and between the plastic washer and the blade.
The washers are square and the plastic one has ridges on each side, two pointing to the blade and two pointing towards the drive washer, the one with the double-D hole.
The ridges break off when something hard is hit. But the mower still worked fine. The problme in my case was that the fan also broke, maybe in the same incident, and the whole thingg was no longer balanced. I figured the bearings wouldn't last as long with the imbalance, and it might be more tiring to use the mower, and the fan wasn't as effective with 3 out of 8 blades missing. (Indded on the fan is embossed, Don't run mower without fan, so maybe it helps in cooling. There were some ventilation holes just above it come to think of it.

What would be better? How much better and how much would it add to the price of the mower, and the weight?
All the B&Decker use the style I have and the Sears look like they're made by B&D and I haven't seen electric mowers from any other company.

Well, a blade acan be sharpened and even if a chunk of blade is missing, the other end can be ground to balance the blade, But if the blade is ruined, it sure seems worth replacing the blade to me. A blade costs xxxx and a mower like mine** costs about 220 dollars plus tax.
**(the newer model which is the same except for the height adjustment)

I asked about getting the blade off when I was buying the part, and the counter girl asked the guy in the back and sh said nothing about that. And the manual, which is online, would also have mentioned it.
And it is right-handed.
According to the manual wedge a piece of 2x4 by placing one end in the shoot opening in the deck. Then it is easy - I've done it.
On Tue, 07 Jul 2009 01:52:45 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I already tried that. It didn't work. You may have done it but not all mowers are the same.
You came in late and didn't read the whole thread.