B&D laser tape measure question

Hi, I've been looking at laser tape measures to buy and have a question I hope someone here can answer.

The Black&Decker BDSM100 says that you can measure from either end, but the package doesn't indicate whether you can use both ends at the same time. For example, can you put it in the middle of a room and will it be able to measure the distance between two walls? This would be a really neat feature. Most other models I've seen require you to put one end of the unit against one wall, and aim it at the opposing wall.

TIA, Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

I suppose you could measure to one wall, rotate the device 180 degrees, measure to the other wall and add the two values. It would be a neat feature to have a mode that automatically add the values.

BTW, I think these devices are somewhat misleading in their name. As I understand them they only use the laser beam to give an indication of what they are measuring to. The actual measurement is done by an ultrasonic device. This class of device is nowhere near as accurate as the true laser measuring devices (but then they are much cheaper also.)

John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

Reply to
John Keith

Thanks for the clarification of the laser's purpose.

The package for this thing actually says on the package, "measure from either end." I still don't know if that means both ends simultaneously or not. It sounds like you think it's one or the other?

thanks! Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

"Either" does not mean "both." Never has.

Reply to
JerryMouse