B&D Dustbuster, Spotliter battery replacement

I've had an old B&D Dustbuster Deluxe cordless vac for years. Never really worked 100%. Right off the charger, it'd rev up, then slow to near nothin', they rev up again. About to roll over and die. Practical to replace batteries?
I've had an old B&D Spotliter rechargable flashlite since the 80's. Worked great until just recently. Output on the charger checked out, so it's gotta be the battery. I can't even figger out how to get it out of the handle. Any hope?
Thx, Puddin'
Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold, Pease pudding in the pot Nine days old ...

My B&D Dustbuster batteries died after 10 years,and checking with the local DeWalt service center,it was cheaper to have a new pack installed than buy a new Dustbuster.It took a week,because they had to order the battery pack(4 cells),but it's still going strong,and that was 5 years ago.
Your fault may not be the battery pack,but perhaps a bad switch. ("never really worked right";shoulda used the warranty.)
Have you tried looking for a Black and Decker website?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Lost me here. I flip the switch, it closes the circuit.

Flawlessly timed: just outa warranty. Superior engineering!

I took a peek at http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/registration/User_register.asp They want a curriculum vitae and full biography before allowing po' me to search for a part (that well may not exist). Appears to be a "Rip Site".
Lotsa Thanks :-) P
Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold, Pease pudding in the pot Nine days old ...

It opens the motor circuit and simultaneously closes the recharge circuit. The problem with the B&D dustbuster switch is that the recharge connection doesn't always make a proper connection so that many times the Ni-Cads go uncharged.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

My curious mind wonders why that switch has to disconnect the recharge circuit?
Our Dustbuster doesn't do that. But it's about 15 years old and I've changed the NiCads about three times now, using those tabbed cells from Radio Shack. (Takes a bit of soldering though.)
Mine recharges when it's hung on its wall rack and since there's a diode in the charging path inside it you wouldn't do anything bad if you accidently shorted the two charging contacts on its underside with the motor running or not.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Yes, I've had that problem a time or 2 in past years.
It's not the problem I described at all.

That makes 2 of us ...

Yeah, I've done that with a little Norelco trimmer. RS finally pulled the battery, I ordered 1 more from the inet.

As near as I can tell, my DB is charging OK.
Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold, Pease pudding in the pot Nine days old ...

Maybe the motor itself has bad brushes,or worn/sticky bearings.
there's not much else in there....
Battery,switch,motor;your problem is in one of those three items.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

did you know the Dustbuster cells are of a type designed for being left on charge all the time,24/7/365 ? Digi-Key carrys them,but DeWalt charged me less than what it would have cost to buy just the cells.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

You mean left on the charger base? Yes.

If you remember: how long ago? How much $?
Thx, P
Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold, Pease pudding in the pot Nine days old ...

"left on the base" means they are being charged constantly. There's no smarts in the DB charger of that era.

IIRC,it was $18 to replace the pack at the DeWalt service center,took a week. A new DB would have cost around $22,IIRC.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

And that was 5 years ago? Good chance no longer available or cost prohibitive.
What's the relation (if any) between DeWalt and B&D?
I wish someone made a good, fully servicable cordless vac ...
I get the idea that, if 1 could analyze 50 different cordless "appliances" now on the market, 1 would find maybe 28 differing voltages and 47 different batteries.
Thanks, Puddin'
Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold, Pease pudding in the pot Nine days old ...
Jim Yanik wrote:

AFAIK, ALL Nicads can stand continuous charging currents of up to 1/10th if their amp-hour rating. i.e. a 500ma/hr cell can take 50 ma continuously.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

I don't believe so.regular cells are meant to be removed from the charging current once they have becomes fuly charged.After that,they suffer.
Go check out the DigiKey info. Obviously,there ARE NiCds designed for 24/7 charging.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Wrll, I may have been a little generous in remembering that a continuous charge rate of 10% of C was safe for all types of nicads.
Panasonic says here that up to 5% of C continuous "trickle" charge as OK, without qualifying a need for special types of cells.
http://tinyurl.com/y87zqo
Shall we call it a draw? <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

How old. Only relevant for deciding how it is assembled.

Don't you see any screw heads? YOu can drill them out, especially with a left handed drill bit and a reversible drill, or you can look for special tips for their special screws. They sell them now wioth 32 tips in a red plastic thing about as big as 2 cigarette packs.
If you don't see the screw heads their under stomething. Or the case snaps together

It's a DB450. I don't 'member how old, maybe 10 years.

I just looked again. No fasteners visable.

Doesn't look like it. The base doesn't snap together.
Pease pudding hot, Pease pudding cold, Pease pudding in the pot Nine days old ...
On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 14:18:52 -0600, Puddin' Man

Take it to the airport and have them x-rey it.
If they don't want to do that for you, buy a ticket for a friend and put it in his carry-on. Then stand behind them when he goes through security.

X-ray Yo Mama! <g>
And Gramma, Too!! <dg>
Puddin'
"A truly good birddawg, even if you never, ever hunt her, is a Precious, Precious Thing! Mayhap ruin ya for homo sapiens ..."
replying to Puddin' Man, DrByte - Thomas Spears wrote:

Hello pudding man, I also have had to figure out how to open the B & D Spotliter handle which holds the rechargeable battery. Quite simply, remove the 2 phillips-type screws on the larger upper part of the handle near the square compartment holding the bulb. Then gently pull the handle apart at the fairly obvious split on it. So now you have it open - but where do you get the replacement battery. The battery is about 4 inches long and about 1/2" to 3/4" in diameter. It has sort of push on connectors at each end. I could not locate any part number on the battery, but the instructions on the battery strictly state "only replace with an identical battery."
its peas. not 'pease' ... theres no 'e' on the end.