*avoiding* future stuck light-bulbs? Lubricant-spray, maybe

In these sunken-into-the-ceiling "cans" into which you screw-in light-bulbs (not much grip-room around the sides), a (burnt-out) (indoor flood) can be darn near *impossible* to unscrew, at least without breaking the bulb.
QUESTION 1: hints and tricks on (safely) unscrewing the things -- including the small 2or3-inch-across ones too.
And, what about the rubber press-on (causing vacuum seal) kits like they sell at HD? Do they actually work? QUESTION 2: might it be a question of the *quality* of the socket (material)? (Ours came from HD!)
Do these things come in different quality, different materials? (Aluminum vs aluminum-coated-with-something vs maybe copper?)
QUESTION3: short of that (could be expensive?, difficult to do?), is there some kind of a (conducting, of course) lubricant than can sprayed or rubbed onto either the socket inner-surface or the bulb screw?
Thanks!
David
David Combs wrote:

I just use squalene ("nose oil").
Rubbing the threaded part of the bulb against the side of your nose will transfer enough squalene to it to prevent it galling and sticking.
The same stuff works pretty well to ease dry chapped lips in the wintertime. just rub a fingertip on the side of your nose and tramsfer the oil to your lips.
Honest.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

I can just picture this suggestion getting propagated through the Internet to friend of a friend of my dead uncle told me, etc. One day, in through the door at the ER comes someone with a bulb screwed in their Ted Kennedy Red nose.
On 11 Dec 2006 18:51:21 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

I remember an ad for wd-40 suggesting it was good to prevent stuck lightbulbs. If my memory serves me right. ;)
later,
tom @ www.BlankHelp.com

There is actually a bulb thread lubricating grease. Any home improvement store - small tube in a blister pack - easy to miss - ask.
David Combs posted for all of us...

Bulb grease by Devcon sold at Sears Hardware.

Try a cheap anti-seize and lubricating compound that you can purchase at any home improvement store. It most likely will be a graphite / copper / aluminum blend. A very thin coating on the threads and you're good to go.
Best to use lamps that match the base aluminium and aluminium brass to brass
David Combs wrote:

In these sunken-into-the-ceiling "cans" into which you screw-in light-bulbs (not much grip-room around the sides), a (burnt-out) (indoor flood) can be darn near *impossible* to unscrew, at least without breaking the bulb. CY: I hear yah.
QUESTION 1: hints and tricks on (safely) unscrewing the things -- including the small 2or3-inch-across ones too. CY: Wear rubber glove. They are more grippy.
And, what about the rubber press-on (causing vacuum seal) kits like they sell at HD? Do they actually work? CY: Dunno.
QUESTION 2: might it be a question of the *quality* of the socket (material)? (Ours came from HD!) CY: Like dentists who push high fluoride tooth paste on their victi////patients?
Do these things come in different quality, different materials? (Aluminum vs aluminum-coated-with-something vs maybe copper?) CY: I'm sure they do.
QUESTION3: short of that (could be expensive?, difficult to do?), is there some kind of a (conducting, of course) lubricant than can sprayed or rubbed onto either the socket inner-surface or the bulb screw? CY: You don't want a conducting lubricant. It will tend to short out the fixture. I'd try old fashioned axle grease. High temp lith maybe.
David Combs wrote:

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/s_lubricant/?lpqsv_cid 4
I posted the preventative product I've used with success for the last couple of years in another thread. $4 will buy you enough to probably last you the rest of your life. Great stuff!
I've used those rubber suction cup things I bought at HD to unscrew stuck bulbs with mixed success. I've also ended up having to dig out the remnants of bulbs with a pair of needle nose pliers.
However, I am confident if you apply this lube to the threads of your light bulbs, you won't have to dig out another bulb. I sure as hell haven't.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Then there is the "Break the glass and try to twist out the remains of the jagged glass and the base of the bulb with a potato.
Oh. BTW make sure the fixture is 'off' before doing this and discard the spud. (Glass in teeth etc.)
If this fails needle nose pliers and patience. But have also tried the end of wooden dowel of a suitable diameter to jam fit into the now glass shattered broken lamp base.
THANKS FOR ALL THE HINTS, GUYS!
REALLY GREAT!
David
terry wrote:

I usually catch hell for this suggestion, but if you try it you'll find it works very well. Instead of a potato, use another bulb. Firmly press the base of the bulb into the broken off base and carefully unscrew. It works because of the amount of surface contact between the two. And no, I've never had a bulb break in my hand. Been doing it for years and very rarely have to resort to needlenose pliers anymore. Bob