avoiding fogged-eyeglasses with cold-weather face-masks?

SUBJ: avoiding fogged-eyeglasses with cold-weather face-masks?
Going outside in the recent *way*-below-freezing weather, with a real possibility of nose/face frost-bite, I tried wearing a leather face-mask made just for that purpose.
Unfortunately, I soon had to take it off, because enough of my exhaled breath exited through the mask's eye-holes to totally fog my eyeglasses, reducing visibility to just the 3/4-inch from the front of my eyes to the glasses.
These guys who successfully work all day outdoors in such weather -- surely some of them wear glasses.
Have they managed to find face-masks that *don't* let one's warm, humid breath escape through the eye-holes?
If so, what brands and products, at what price, and where do you get them?
Or if such masks don't exist (or simply aren't available where one currently is), what solution?
Thanks!
David
Add pictures here
βœ–
Try a handfull of lard or grease
Add pictures here
βœ–

Sorry. I've worn glasses for nearly forty years. Never found any sort of facemask that doesn't cause some fogging of the glasses.
βœ–
David Combs wrote:

There is a product that scuba divers use on their masks to prevent fogging. I'm sure it would work on eyeglasses, too. Don't know what it's called, but go to a store that sells scuba (or maybe snorkeling) equipment and you're sure to find some.
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail) ~~~~~~
"I reserve the absolute right to be smarter today than I was yesterday." -Adlai Stevenson ************************************************* http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com / http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing /
Add pictures here
βœ–
Suzie-Q wrote:

Start here: http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr 43&prmenbr”6
or http://tinyurl.com/2uh6d
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail) ~~~~~~
"I reserve the absolute right to be smarter today than I was yesterday." -Adlai Stevenson ************************************************* http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com / http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing /
Add pictures here
βœ–
Hello,
A few suggestions............As a scuba diver (Suzie Q writes about) we were told to spit inside our mask and then wipe the saliva around the inside of the mask before entering the water. There is an antifog solution you can buy. Using a raw potato on a lense produces anti-fogging capabilities. The best that I have found to date though is shaving cream. Put the stuff on your lenses and wipe clean with a clean dry cloth.....Hope these were of some help.......Jim

Add pictures here
βœ–
Suzie-Q wrote:

I'm told that for scuba diving, spit works as well as any commercial product. For car windshields and bathroom mirrors, bar-soap helps prevent fogging but I don't know if any of those things work in really cold weather.
I'd say try using a knit hat with eye-and-mouth holes, and, as other posters suggested, with lard or grease for any extra exposed skin.
Come to think of it, you could probably cut a bigger mouth hole in the leather mask.
Add pictures here
βœ–
hardware stores sell antifog chemicals for bathroom mirrors. or go to an auto show. one of the booths will be selling antifog stuff for glasses. works great.

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 27-Jan-2004, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

Leather is a poor choice. It won't breath fast enough and if you start working up a sweat, you'll end up with a colder face than without a face mask.

Don't wear a face mask. A fleece balaclava would be better most of the time. There are also masks that are made with fleece. Some have a nylon outer shell for wind. Windbloc (R) fleece is a good choice. Neoprene face masks are like leather IMHO, except they won't soak up the persperation as much as leather.
I've done a bunch of cross-country ski racing in very cold conditions and have never worn a mask. Folks who wear masks or put so-called frostbite creams (or vaseline) on their faces end up with frostbite more often.
I once raced in -30C (wind chill -52C -> thats about -60F) and had nothing on my face. It warmed up to -20C (wind chill -40C) and after 83km (52 miles) I was one of the few without any frostbite (the majority DNF).
Unless you're sitting around outside doing nothing, you won't really need a mask. It hasn't been that cold - really!
Don't bother with the chemical solutions for the glasses as some have suggested. They work for scuba, but never for extreme cold.
Mike
Add pictures here
βœ–
When I road a motorcycle, I had the same problem in the winter. I used an anti-fog product sold and all the drug stores. It worked pretty good.
--
Shalom!
Michael Lee
βœ–
|When I road a motorcycle, I had the same problem in the winter. I used an |anti-fog product sold and all the drug stores. It worked pretty good.
Rain-X Anti-Fog. Racers use it on their faceshields and glasses. Rex in Fort Worth
Add pictures here
βœ–
David Combs wrote:

There's a product called "Cat Crap" that I've seen frequently advertised for use on ski goggles. I don't know if it works but it seems to be popular. Here's one link:
http://www.libertymountain.com/catalog.php?type=product&id=WM15675&aid
Add pictures here
βœ–
Thanks to one and all for the great responses!
David
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 27 Jan 2004 20:51:20 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

naturally condenses on the glass or plastic lens. I simply have a second pair of glasses with me when I come in out of the cold, a pair protected from the cold. Just change them. \ joevan
Add pictures here
βœ–
clean your lenses with shaving cream before going out, works good. Ralph
Add pictures here
βœ–