Avoid AC wiring when drilling hole

Hi, I need to drill a hole (0.5" dia) thru my 6" thick wall (i believe its called dry wall). I have a B&D power screw-driver/drill, and yesterday I also purchased a long 0.5" dia drill. I intend to use these to drill the hole. The issue I have is this:
- How do I ensure that I dont drill into an AC wiring? Is there a simple/inexpensive way to detect AC wiring? If possible, I'd like to avoid purchasing an AC finder specifically for this project, bcoz its unlikely I'd need it again. Or is there an inexpensive one out there that I can purchase? (FYI: I live in the San Jose area in California)
There is an electrical outlet near the place I wish to drill, so I do plan to remove its faceplate and visually try to see which way the wires go. But that still doesnt give 100% gurantee. There could be other wiring thats running thru.
Kindly advise.
Thanx /Venkat
message

drill through one side of the wall, stop when you break the surface into the cavity. poke a pencil in and feel around.

there's a box there. you'll probably not be able to see which way the wires go from inside the box.

Are you drilling horizontaly or verticaly to the outlet, usualy this is the way wires are run, but not 100% of time. Especialy in old remodels. Are they in conduit, if yes go slow, with resistance stop. TO BE 100% SAFE knock a hole, and re plaster. . Zircon a relativly cheap Stud finder incorporate this feature , My Zircon does, but I wouldnt trust diagnosing led patterns, studs are tough enough to find . Drill in , look with a light , and drill.