Average price of new gas furnace installation

6th post up ,, NVM says "he did not check Co in Flue"..........
Reply to
m Ransley

ok...missed that one..you DO check, particularly on the Airtemp hes got, for flue SPILLAGE

Reply to
steve

On 11/21/2004 9:20 PM US(ET), m Ransley took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

The reason for testing CO in the flue is not to test how much CO is escaping into the house, but for testing the combustion of the fuel in the burner. Better combustion (fuel savings), less CO.

Reply to
willshak

On 11/22/2004 6:21 AM US(ET), NWM took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Here is one:

suppose you can buy one wherever the service people buy them (or maybe online). I don't know about HD, because I never needed to look for one. It's called a gas analyzer. When you find out the price ($$$), you probably will decide you don't need one.

Reply to
willshak

Thanks for all the responses. Now the big giant thing with all those shileded wires under the burners next to the filter is the blower? Or just the blower motor? Ok, where exactly is the blower? If it is not in that area on the bottom of the furnace next to the filter, he may have already cleaned it. He didn't do anything in the bottom area except remove the really dirty and old filter.

Now to check the chimney for blockage,, will he have to get into the attic, or just climb the roof ?

Reply to
NWM

You seem to expect an awful lot. If you want the entire system to be restored to like new condition, as opposed to getting it running safely and reasonably well (given its age), then you should expect to pay for many more hours of labor.

Its easy for us to sit here and think up more things the tech could have done, but each of these adds to the costs.

At this point, it would be reasonable to start planning for a new system. Nothing lasts forever, and the energy savings alone may justify installing a new higher efficiency system. This is something you need to discuss with a tech who isn't a crook, and I think you have found him.

Gary R. Lloyd CMS HVACR Troubleshooting Books/Software

Gary R. Lloyd

SI there a way to test it myself. CO in the flue? SOmething I can get at Home Depot? I don't imnagine those CO monitors one places in rooms can do this.

Thanks

Reply to
NWM

I only expected the blower to work. I was very satified with the work and had a question about the sequence/cycle. Now based on a response from another thread, I was under the impression that I was in danger. As you said, I want it to run safely and reasonably well. If the blower second run while the burner is out is not dangerous, I'll leave it alone.

Reply to
NWM

Its not dangerous, but it will wear out the motor sooner.

Gary R. Lloyd CMS HVACR Troubleshooting Books/Software

Gary R. Lloyd

Define sooner. I think the motor has been there for 30+ years LOL.

Reply to
NWM

Hi NWM, hope you are having a nice day

On 18-Nov-04 At About 05:32:25, NWM wrote to All Subject: Re: Average price of new gas furnace installation

N> From: NWM

N> The thing is, I had to spend 140 bucks just for this guy to show up N> and look around. He said it would take 4-5 hours to take out the N> burner and replace it at 97 bucks an hour labor.ANother company I had N> considered using said they would also charge just to show up and N> one hour labor minimum.

I cannot see what you have there but saying 4 or 5 hours to change or clean burners is way to much. you may want to ask friends or neighbors who they use and are they satisfied with them then call that company and get their opinion.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2