average parts/labor ratio for pros?

Ah ok, was just curious. I'm not very electrically savvy. I just know you need a bigger 'doohicky' for an electric stove than my gas one (ok, laugh!). You are right, window AC's need that too (most of them unless a little unit).

Guess you do not have central AC? Or you need an assist in that one area? I have an assist unit in my sunroom but it's a portable sort as that suits best in this particular instance. Floor space was expendable and not nearly the cost of the sort of 'embedeed in the sunroom wall' sort that has to be used there. My little 250$ unit is doing just fine. We can later adapt if we decide the almost 3,000$ 'proper heat and AC' wall unit is needed but we actually lose out on furniture placement as that whole section has to be open. The small portable just sits there innocently before the patio door area (which one wouldnt block anyway) and when it's nice enough to use that patio door, rolls way nicely. In winter, we plan to stow that portable in the garage.

*If* you are just augmenting a cooling (IE not like it's the only spot for a big unit to seriously cool the house) and would prefer to not have the window blocked 'forever' (often kitchen windows are the only one and over the sink) you may want to at least look over such units.

I'll be a little longwinded if you do not mind on them? Skip if not applicable of course!

The downside of them is they have a little vent at the bottom normally where condensate water (or dehumidifier if it does both) comes out. You can cap this off but it beeps and stops if the inside 'basket' fills. Apparently this can be a pain. In our case, we cut a block of wood and put the exaust vent up about 3ft in the wood, and cut a smaller hole for the drain which just leads to the backyard. Similar to how a window unit will just leave it's little dripping outside. Because it's on a longer patio door, the included plastic window fitting didnt work (not long enough) so we just cut a bit of wood to fit and used that. The door closes nicely on it and a block of leftover wood makes for reasonable security at the other part of the patio door so you can't open it from outside (though normally we remove the wood bit at night and just lock the patio door then put that wood down to deter beasties in the night).

Some units have the vet for the condensate *quite* low such as ours is. We raised the unit on a little box of wood Don made in about 5 mins. This was because the patio door frame is just high enough, the little drain pipe was 'up'. Means we actually have to lift the unit out of the box then roll away if we need to move it. It weighs about 25 lbs (guessing, did not look it up but I have degenerative disc disease in my back with 3 herniated discs and

*I* can do it. Often though 'just in case it makes me squick my back which can happen with just a good sneeze' I have my 14YO daughter do that and she aint a big 14YO).

If there is anything useful here you want to ask about (or anyone else of course!) just ask! I'm not good with all home DIY things, but I like to help when I can.

Carol

Reply to
cshenk

Many thanks!

Reply to
grasshopper

You've already received quantitative analysis of your question (it's unanswerable), now I'd like to throw a little qualitative analysis your way.

Let's say you determine the _perfect_ formula for calculating what a contractor should charge for a project and you've tweaked it so that it perfectly reflects material costs and labor conditions in your area, and your particular project's site conditions and other constraints.* The resultant number means exactly nothing unless you get a qualified contractor to agree to that number, to agree to what's included for that number, to agree on the level of quality and to not take your unsolicited input on how they should be pricing jobs as being a red flag that you will be a problem customer.

  • If you do manage to figure out that formula, forget about trying to save money on the modular home projects as you'll be able to earn truly ridiculous amounts of money selling the formula to contractors.
Reply to
RicodJour

"grasshopper" wrote

Oh I forgot to add one thing. You may want to invest in a quality sofa. See, if the window is over the sink or stove and you put a window unit it it, SWMBO is gonna start making you sleep on the sofa once that cold blast of air hits her right at eye level everytime she uses the sink or it puts out the gas stove burners or .... (grin).

Reply to
cshenk