average parts/labor ratio for pros?

Page 2 of 2

The question is irrelavent to understanding work, each job is unique and has to be seen that way. it can be 100-1 or 1-100 depending on job needed.
My experience has been that parts for plumbing are the least expensive, then electrical more expensive, and wood the most expensive.
But this could easily switch around! Say that instead of replacing a drain pipe with a plastic drain pipe (materials inexpensive), you are installing a new bathtub with the kind that has water jets. Well the cost of the bathtub would be way up there in relation to the labor.
Same with electrical. You could be installing a bare light bulb fixture - takes 10 minutes and the fixture costs $3. Or you could be installing an outdoor commercial high pressure sodium fixture - takes 10 minutes and the fixture costs $450.
"grasshopper" wrote in message

There is no ratio. What you want is the work done right the first time. So long as someone doesn't charge you $200 for ten minutes worth of work, whatever seems fair to fix your problem is in line.
Doing the homework to know what the going rate is falls upon you. If one guy wants $20, and one wants $50 an hour, you must figure out what the difference is, and if it's worth it. There is no cut and dried ruler.
Unless, of course, you're talking to a cardiologist, lawyer, dentist, or brain surgeon. My heart surgeon charged $42,000 for 8.5 hours. He was worth it in my mind.
Steve

You've already received quantitative analysis of your question (it's unanswerable), now I'd like to throw a little qualitative analysis your way.
Let's say you determine the _perfect_ formula for calculating what a contractor should charge for a project and you've tweaked it so that it perfectly reflects material costs and labor conditions in your area, and your particular project's site conditions and other constraints.* The resultant number means exactly nothing unless you get a qualified contractor to agree to that number, to agree to what's included for that number, to agree on the level of quality and to not take your unsolicited input on how they should be pricing jobs as being a red flag that you will be a problem customer.
* If you do manage to figure out that formula, forget about trying to save money on the modular home projects as you'll be able to earn truly ridiculous amounts of money selling the formula to contractors.