Average cost of new roof for 2000 sq ft house? (composite)

What is the average cost of new roof for 2000 sq ft house? (composite)
7k?
10k?
First to decide is what type of roof you will be installing. Metal, Asphalt, Fiberglass. As well there are several grades available in most Asphalt and Fiberglass product. These effect the warranty that will be offered. What type of system will you be installing? Prices will vary from contractor to contractor so best to do is reasearch your product first... then ALWAYS get THREE bids for the job. And make sure your contractor and his employees are insured in any case someone falls or is hurt on the job. snipped-for-privacy@wongfaye.com wrote:

Tearing off the old one? The removal can cost you $500-2500 depending on how much they rape you.
snipped-for-privacy@wongfaye.com wrote:

You'll need about 25 squares, at $50/sq for 30 year shingles that's $1250 plus $200 or so for other materials, the rest is labour. I've seen rates of over $300/sq

"Martik" wrote

You're the first one I've seen, which has been able to quote prices over the internet.
I got out of the construction business 4 years ago. I was in roofing for 26+ years. I must say, you're a bit low for quoting "other materials", then again, it shows how many corners can be cut.
A sq. ft. structure means absolutely.....zip. You estimate materials by covered area (decking), this varies widely and is dependent on pitch/style/dormers/valleys, just for starters.
For instance, you can have a 2000 sq ft colonial with 4/12 pitch, plus an attached 2 car garage. I've done these with approx. 18 square. This is normal gable style.
Or, you can have a ranch style 2000 sq.ft., 7/12 pitch, hip roof, have a couple dormers (yes dormers on a ranch). And, run around 32 squares.

You are right, I should have added a disclaimer.
That was not a quote, but a rough guide of material costs based on a lot of assumptions.
Here in Canada, Rona charges $5,000 for a 1200 sqft Ranch home with straight gable 4/12, about $4000 profit for a couple days work.

It's not even that. They're simply guesses. You have no information from the OP at all that would be of any use in even making assumptions. You don't even know where the house is located. Proceeding to talk about cost numbers based entirely on assumptions is at best misleading.

believe. Profit is what is left over after you deduct materials, labor, insurance, dump fees, etc.

It does not matter. He wanted the average. If you check the Construction and Repair Data Base, then narrow the search to houses at 2000 square feet, you can look up the cost of a re-roof as recorded for the past 12 months. You can also look up previous years and it gives the inflation factor to use. Seems that if you take the average of the 213,648 houses that were re-roofed, the average cost was $5186.72.

Who provides this service?
Amy

My imagination

Who said the house was in the US? It might not even be in North America. I have yet to see anyone ask for a price on a newsgroup that was not using the number for some purpose. If the OP just had a flight of fancy question, and there's no relation to the real world, then your calculations should fit the bill nicely. ;)

:) The thing that boysens my berries is when people actually answer such non-answerable, broad and vague questions with specific numbers and then I feel obligated to reply to point out that it's an unanswerable question.
Tim Kirby wrote:

Tim,
I need to understand the roofing industry for a project that I am doing. If you can correspond with me thru e-mail. I will appreciate it. Please let me know if you are ok with that. My e-mail address is: build snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
On 9 Dec 2006 15:24:18 -0800, build snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

It really irks me when people ask for prices on the internet. What costs $100 in Iowa might cost $150 in Nebraska $400 in New York and $750 in California. And for all we know these people might not even live in the USA, so a dollar figure is useless. I wont reply to people that ask prices. Anyone with half a brain should know how to use a telephone and phone book to call local contractors, or call the Local Home Depot for the price of materials. There are also reference books that give a base rate for labor in each state, and they vary drastically. An average hourly price for a plumber in the midwest might be $30 an hour, but in California you wont even get them to talk to you on the phone for under $200 per hour. Then too, there's travel time. Someone in the country may have to pay more for fuel and travel time than someone in the city. Asking for prices on the internet is just plain assenine. The only exception might be on a newsgroup or other group specific to your own city or state.
On 30 Nov 2006 15:11:03 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@wongfaye.com wrote:

How big is the ROOF? And by "new roof" do you just mean re-shingling? DO you want a tear-off, or a second layer? Do you expect to need repair of the decking? Is it a simple gable roof with few or no penetrations, or some dumb-ass pseudo-victorian with turrets, spires, dormers and eyebrow windows all over creation. Are you within 2 miles of a roofing supply warehouse, or does the roofer have to cart his supplies and equipment through 12 miles of jungle on the back of a donkey? Are you in a shoreline protection zone that requires 8 million dollars worth of permit fees and paperwork before you're even allowed to start? Are you in the Greater LA metropolitan Area, or Potsdam?
I'd guess closer to the 10,000 than the 7, in the absence of any more information.