Avast fraud

Page 2 of 5
On 08/19/2014 08:40 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Dear Sir/Madam/Unknown Higgs,
It is time for you to bite the bullet and call in a professional. Ask around your neighborhood for referrals. Geek Squad are not professionals. They are High Skol students with two weeks training.
-T

I've got a vintage rusty IBM Selectric in the garage. A little WD-40 and she'll be good as new! That would be about the right for this person, I think.
You will be interested in my rare type balls.
Nil wrote:

Hi, Years ago at the infancy of PC when 4 Mb hard drive cost couple grands, I was an EIC a at local university looking after their main system involved in software development. One day one of the faculty secretary called me in panic saying she can't use word processor any more, it is stuck. When I took a look at the problem she never deleted or stored backed up files externally on floppies. literally hundreds of saved letter files were plugging up the machine. She thought almighty computer had endless file saving capacity. When I explained things she seemed quite surprised.....
On 08/20/2014 05:52 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi Tony,
I have customer, fortunately not all, who are hermetically irresponsible about backing up. I put them on Carbonite, even though I find cloud backup creepy.
-T
Todd wrote:

Hi, Ditto here. Cloud is like Google, I 'd never trust it.
alt.home.repair:

I used to fix screwed up computers in a corporate environment. I got to know who seemed to go out of their way to fuck things up time and time again. Since they got them fixed for "free", they just didn't care... and yet they were the most demanding and impatient of any. I guess it's a combination of attitude and work flow. Some people seem to instinctively know how to avoid some computer problems. Some people rush right into them.
Nowadays I do it just for friends and family. My sister's kids regularly invite viruses and other malware into the family computer. They don't care, maybe because I swoop in to fix things when they get so bad that, say, my sister can't do her online banking because of all the popup ads. I'm happy to bail her out as often as need be, but the kids need a good spanking. Too bad they're 18 years old and 3000 miles away.
On 08/20/2014 05:47 PM, Nil wrote:

Had one customer with a secretary that would yell broken computer to get to go home early. One time she claimed it shocked her. Make me run over in a mad dash. She didn't realize I have a degree in Electrical Engineering. Biggest shock she ever got was scraping her shoes over the carpet. She was a total pain in the neck.
alt.home.repair:

I've been using Avast Free for years and nobody had ever tried to do any such thing.
Memory use is on par with or better than most other anti-virus solutions I've used. Right now, Task Manager reports that it's using about 35 MB or RAM.
I don't think you know what you're talking about.
Nil wrote:

Hi, Speak for yourself. Ido myself.
Nil wrote:

Hi, That is for you, not me.Most of real important work is done using Linux here. I have at least half dozen boxes in the house, monster desk top, lap tops, even old DOS box, etc.All doing it's dedicated tasks.
On 08/20/2014 06:03 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Me too. Welcome to the dark side.
On 08/20/2014 05:52 PM, Nil wrote:

Hi Nil,
I do not agree. I think Tony is on to something.
Avast and AVG are not the sharpest tacks in the box. Check out page 8 of
http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/avc_prot_2014a_en.pdf
Boy, Ahnlabs really sucks!
When I hits places with AVG and Avast, I cringe a little because I know I am going to be in for a ride. System with Avast just run a little funny -- can't put my finger on why, though.
Most of the time when I hit business with free AVG, I remind them the free version is only for personal use. They get a bit pissed at me. And, it explains why they are in trouble. They have CABs (Cheap Assed Bastard disease).
-T
Oren wrote:

Depending on the vintage there may also be an active cooler (fan) on the north bridge. Even if it's a passive (heat sink) make sure it isn't packed with crap.

There was one gneration, 2000 maybe, that played "Für Elise" on the speaker just before it succumbed to heat stroke.
On 08/20/2014 08:16 PM, rbowman wrote:

On my custom designs, I put a 120 mm PWM fan in the rear and a 92 mm PWM fan on the front where it can blow over the hard drive. Gives great long life.
Oh, and I use ball bearing fans. None of this cheap-assed sleeve bearing fan nonsense. Sleeve bearing fans die in about two years.
alt.home.repair:

I see nothing on page 8 that addresses Avast's memory usage or the claim that "they try to come into your computer."
I find Avast to be the most problem-free and reliable of any of the anti-virus products I've tried.
On 08/20/2014 09:58 PM, Nil wrote:

Hi Nil,
On no. You are correct. My bad.
I meant that Avast didn't work very well. It is as effective as M$ Security Essentials, which should be the worst you'd expect.
I googled memory footprint on anti viruses, but did not find anything useful.
When I find a customer using Avast, something is off that I just can't put my finger on.
-T
In

Well, notice she hasn't responded to this thread even once. Some people are just best left in the KF
In

Oh, I agree, but at some point the fun is lost and it just becomes really sad to watch the stupidity : )
alt.home.repair:

This is a well-known scam, and you have been taken. Kiss your money goodbye - there is no chance in Hell that you will get it back. They have already "fixed" your computer as much as they ever will... and there's a good chance that they have installed malware on your computer in the process.
I'm serious.
I get two or three of these calls a week. I recognize them for what they are by their Caller ID, and I don't answer the phone.
alt.home.repair:

Maybe they'll fix the CD drive my kid just shoved a piece of bread into?