Autonomous braking system to be required

ram anyone or perform the PIT maneuver. They just need to box the perp in, and slow down. The perp's car will stop itself, so as to avoid hitting the police vehicle in front of it.

I have a feeling a remote kill switch and government database containing the kill code for every vehicle will be added by well meaning lawmakers to the specs for all new vehicles sold in this country. It is for the children. ^_^
TDD
Didn't Onstar do that already?
I have also heard of "buy here; pay here" places doing that, also. Using remote boxes, and computer interface. I don't have the story, but I remember hearing of a car place, an employee was fired, but they didn't delete his log and pass for their computer. He went home, and disabled 100 plus cars, from his home computer.
I have a feeling a remote kill switch and government database containing the kill code for every vehicle will be added by well meaning lawmakers to the specs for all new vehicles sold in this country. It is for the children. ^_^
TDD
On 08/03/2012 05:13 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

And such a car place should be required to REMOVE the device once the car is paid for.

[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

Not a new idea. That one's been waiting in the wings fer some time.
nb
--
"Do you recognize me? No!
...cuz I don't work here"
On 8/3/2012 5:14 PM, notbob wrote:

Like gun control. O_o
Remember Jimmy Carter's (female?) head of DOT who wanted all automobiles fitted with governors to keep them from exceeding 55mph? ^_^
TDD
On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 17:19:31 -0500, The Daring Dufas

I suggested that they start with Carter (hmm, I did have a car fitted with a Carter carburetor). Perhaps today Cuomo could run along beside your car.
On Aug 3, 6:03pm, The Daring Dufas <the-daring-du...@stinky- finger.net> wrote:

for our safety........
incidenty young drivers vare statistically worse than old drivers
with age comes some self control, for many......
young people havent known failure and believe they are indestructible...
i taught a 16 year old to drive, he believed the speed limit was the minimum speed to drive. he passed his drivers test on saturday, and had a accident monday afternoon..... 72 hours later.
he laughed at my driving, go a little under the speed limit, never be in a hurry, leave lots of extra space between you and everyone else, dont follow too close......
i seriously suggested he drive more like me.......
if he has another accident before he turns 18 his mom will make him turn in his license, for his safety and beyond which insurance wouldnt be affordable.....
i drive for my job over 40K miles a year......
On 8/3/2012 5:22 PM, bob haller wrote:

to ram anyone or perform the PIT maneuver. They just need to box the perp in, and slow down. The perp's car will stop itself, so as to avoid hitting the police vehicle in front of it.

Back in the 80's I was running service calls around The Southeast and put 70k miles on a six cylinder Ford Econoline in a single year. ^_^
TDD
On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 17:39:22 -0500, The Daring Dufas

to ram anyone or perform the PIT maneuver. They just need to box the perp in, and slow down. The perp's car will stop itself, so as to avoid hitting the police vehicle in front of it.

I have 107K on my 2001 (20K in the last 8 months). ;-)

Meanwhile I, who live on one side of a duplex and work in the other side, put less than 3,000 miles per year on my little pick-up. Still, it galls me to pay the north side of $40 for a fill-up once a month...

I'd go almost two weeks but now the "other side" is 18 miles and I commute to AL on the weekends. At least I only have a couple of more months of that.
On 08/04/2012 07:10 AM, HeyBub wrote:

I remember a $79 fillup a few years ago when gas prices were at thier highest of($4.00 / gal).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

I had a 65$ "fillup" recently. I had my 2-1/2 gallon mower can with me, but still... Gas here has jumped $.50 in the last month ($.25 in the last week).
On 8/4/2012 2:11 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I spend $75 a week for commuting in gas and about $250 a month for toll hiways. Yes the income earned is worth it but in about 2 or 2 1/2 years, I'll take the $30 000 a year pay cut and work in my hometown. Factoring in insurance and wear and tear plus maintenance on the automobile then the gas and toll hiway charges, it's about $10 000 a year for transportation, maybe more just for that larger salary gain of say $30 000.
When I was in my 20s and single it was great doing all that driving for extra income. Now with kids and wife and home, it's not appealing anymore.

Sure but my solution is to move where the job is. I'm commuting now, for various reasons but that'll stop Oct 1 when I finally get my wife moved here. We may be traveling back and forth on the weekends after that until we can get that house on the market.

Agreed. Driving for a job just isn't worth it. It is a PITA.
On 8/7/2012 9:44 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I wear myself out driving around to do service calls but folks need things fixed or installed. The heat is killing me this Summer. O_o
TDD

its great in good weather but the pits in snow.....
but I have been on the road my entire life fixing office machines.
If someone gave me a office and required me to be there I would go stir crazy.....
everday is different i never know what I will be doing
On 8/8/2012 6:50 AM, bob haller wrote:

To stop moving is to die. ^_^
TDD

to ram anyone or perform the PIT maneuver. They just need to box the perp in, and slow down. The perp's car will stop itself, so as to avoid hitting the police vehicle in front of it.

What was he doing driving alone 72 hours after getting his license? Mommy screwed up, big time. It was a month before I got the car by myself and my son wasn't much different (though he was 18 before he got is license - had to force him to get it).

Yeah, I bet he listened intently to that suggestion. <rolls eyes>

I would have pulled the keys after the first one (before, see above). Insurance usually goes *way* up for minors after the first accident.

On Aug 3, 12:26pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Harry K