Autonomous braking system to be required

In Europe, so says Popular Science.

"Cars in Europe may soon become very much more robotic whether drivers want them to or not. New rules coming down from the European Commission will require all commercial vehicles to be fitted with autonomous emergency braking (AEB) technology by November 2013, and passenger vehicles could soon follow suit."

You can probably expect the U.S. to mimic Europe if the "It's for the children" politicians are in power.

Reply to
HeyBub

Considering that most "drivers" are busy texting, sexting, blogging, twittering, chatting, updating Fecesbook or applying makeup, maybe this is actually a good idea.

Reply to
homme de la maison

Most? Citation needed for that story, mommy.

Reply to
krw

Pull your head out of your ass and look around...you'll see what I mean.

Reply to
homme de la maison

I repeat, most? You're going to need some proof for such a wild assertion.

Reply to
krw

In Europe, so says Popular Science.

"Cars in Europe may soon become very much more robotic whether drivers want them to or not. New rules coming down from the European Commission will require all commercial vehicles to be fitted with autonomous emergency braking (AEB) technology by November 2013, and passenger vehicles could soon follow suit."

You can probably expect the U.S. to mimic Europe if the "It's for the children" politicians are in power.

I have been rear ended 3 times. Each time I was stopped at a red light. One was a drunken driver. One was a young girl. One was a fellow in a hot rod that was racing the engine and his foot slipped off of the clutch. So maybe that could have stopped the drunk and the girl. WW

Reply to
WW

And then you got the over-60 crowd, most can barely pass a drivers test.

Reply to
Harvey Specter

Screw the "assertion". The real issue is, what else will that AEB system be doing. You can bet yer ass it will also be an Event Data Recorder (EDR) that will be recording yer driving history, like how fast you were going when you hit the brakes, etc. And who do you think is behind this? The insurance companies, so they can use yer own car's event data against you should you be in an accident in which they might have to settle. In short, yer own car will be ratting you out to the insurance companies. Most new cars already include one or more EDRs in yer car, specially if you have ABS brakes. You think it's not gonna get worse? This AEB thing is jes another pretense to get even more sophisticated EDR mechanisms into yer car. Believe that!

nb

Reply to
notbob

That's 'big' of you. Just remember that probably some day you will be over sixty and then we'll see how you feel about your statement then. There are good and bad drivers in every age classification.

Reply to
Gil

...and the under fifty crowd who never learned.

Reply to
krw

I think you put the cart before the horse.

Auto makers put the EDR's in cars for their own purposes, not because such was legislated and certainly not at the behest of the insurance companies. It was the trial/plaintiff legal community that glommed on to the EDR data.

As for EDR's being a tool of the insurance companies, I suspect that an EDR helps an insurance company about as often as it hurts. In a collision, for example, a State Farm policy holder may be at fault when he hits an Allstate policy holder. In the next accident, the blame is reversed. In the big picture, the contents of an EDR is proabably a wash as far as insurance goes.

Reply to
HeyBub

So your driving is so poor you don't want it recorded...got it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

And what do you think your drivign ability will be when _you_ are over

60? As for accident record the worst group is the youths...which I suspect you either are in or have just shortly left.

BTW 60 these days is a far pace from being what is considered "old". I'll bet the statistics for age related accidents shows it begins at around 70 or later.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Except that if they show blame, the insurance company doesn't get the deductible from both parties. If they can pin some responsibility on each, they get the deductible.

Reply to
krw

Close. It's certainly a bathtub curve with the worst, those over 75, slightly worse than the 16-20 group. The 20-24 group is about the same as the 70-74 group. The middle of the bathtub, from age 30 to age 70 is pretty flat at about half that of the 20-24 group. It's kinda old data but if anything the older people are likely doing better now.

krw

I'll bet that police vehicles will not be equipped with such a device because it might make it difficult or impossible for them to ram any vehicle or do the PIT maneuver. Possibly all vehicles belonging to any government law enforcement agency will be exempt from something forced on us lowly subjects of The Imperial Federal Government. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Of course there are always SOME good drivers in every age group.

When does it make sense to stop letting ALL the drivers in a particular age= group continue to drive, simply because SOME of them are still good driver= s?

Apparently never, because their feewings will be hurt. We can't tell old Mr= Magoo he can't drive anymore because he might get MAD at us. We can't tell= old Mr Magoo he can't drive anymore because it's HARD. Awww.

Just an aside, caring about someone else's feelings, or someone else's safe= ty, is a liberal trait. Good conservatives always look out for #1.

Personally, I would hope that someone takes my keys away if I become a mena= ce. I'll probably get very angry when it happens. I'm sure I won't like it,= but I won't be in a position to make an objective decision about my abilit= y to drive. I'll still fancy myself to be Dale Freaking Earnhardt Jr, even = if I'm 85, blind in one eye, with no feeling in my right leg.

Reply to
dennisgauge

LOL, you're an amusing dumbass!

If you hear rain on your roof and you look out the window and see that it is in fact raining, do you still need to go to

for proof?

Reply to
homme de la maison

If all vehicles had an autonomous braking system, the police wouldn't have = to ram anyone or perform the PIT maneuver. They just need to box the perp i= n, and slow down. The perp's car will stop itself, so as to avoid hitting t= he police vehicle in front of it.

Reply to
dennisgauge

group continue to drive, simply because SOME of them are still good drivers?

Magoo he can't drive anymore because he might get MAD at us. We can't tell old Mr Magoo he can't drive anymore because it's HARD. Awww.

That's a stupid attitude. Loss of driving privileges should be based on displayed performance, not on some perceived deficiency because someone reaches a certain age. A hell of a lot twenty-year old drivers shouldn't be on the road. Based on your comments I doubt you would recognize a sixty-year old if you saw one. Probably at your age everyone over forty looks 'old'.

is a liberal trait. Good conservatives always look out for #1.

I agree and it should be regardless of age. If you think you can drive safely like Dale Earnhart used to on the track just because you're young, then you are delusional.