Automotive Water

I got some antifreeze for my car and need to add automotive water to it. It says mix 50% antifreeze with 50% water. I was going to just use tap water when one of my customers at the bar started yelling at me. He said I must use automotive water, and nothing else. He was a mechanic before he retired so I know he knows all about cars. I went to 3 auto parts stores, walmart, ace hardware, and target. No one sells it. Where do I get it?

The Bar Keeper

Reply to
barkeeper

Out of the tap!

Reply to
Dave + Gloria

Tap water

Reply to
bluelitt

Might be better to use distilled or demineralized water but I've never heard of either being called automotive water.

Reply to
Frank

You got to start cutting them off sooner. I think they have had one too many. There is no such thing as automotive water, although if someone gets the idea, they will be selling it next week on TV as a dehydrated and all you need do is to add water.

In some areas the local tap water may be bad enough that you really should use de-mineralized or distilled water, but in most areas it is not important.

Reply to
jmeehan

Your customer is behind the times. Big box has already had their suppliers blend the expensive automotive water into the antifreeze for your convenience. It saves so much trouble for you and you get to buy

50/50 mix at the same price as that complicated to use 100% antifreeze...

If you still want to use the complicated 100% antifreeze you can buy it at real stores but big box is your friend and you should just buy the premixed stuff..

Reply to
George

From the tap.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Use distilled water, also a good idea to use in steamers and irons. Distilled water won't contain any salts.

Reply to
Phisherman

The minerals in a few gallons of tap water won't cause any problems.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

You'll find it next to the sky hooks and the henway lubricants.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

What's a henway?

Oh, about 8 pounds.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Your best bet is to top off your coolant with DHMO or Hydric acid. The pure distilled liquid form can be obtained from any drug store and is completely safe to use if you practice good sense when handling it. DHMO makes up half the coolant in vehicles that are powered by internal combustion engines and is a ubiquitous chemical throughout the world and our manufacturers could not operate without the substance. Here is a link to more information on the chemical:

Be safe.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Reply to
Uncle Monster

Hee hee... thanks for that link. I'm an environmental professional, and I had NO idea of this problem.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Why don't you find a guy with a hydrogen powered car and hang a bucket on the tail pipe. You will then have real automotive water.

Reply to
Chuck

Uncle Monster wrote in news:gc36n4$9so$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Sounds like some good shit to bring to a water balloon fight.

Reply to
Red Green

snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.com wrote in news:1d59e417gom3agukmljteq2nbj7h5dcdkq@

4ax.com:

Same place you get air for your tires. You are aware what if you have say a German car you must use German air for proper inflation & wear. Japanese cars require Japanese air. Don't fall for that generic Nitrogen air crap.

You see, different countries have different measurement systems. If you fill it with US air, the gauge will read correct but since it is measuring foreign air they will be improperly inflated. This causes the tires to improperly wear and prematurely fail inspection.

...so what did he say when you asked him were to get it?

Reply to
Red Green

Hi, You could just buy premixed ready to pour antifreeze.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Did he send you after some headlight fluid too? Muffler bearings? 3 feet of automotive filopian tubing? A can of ring and valve? I think your customer either sent you on a wild goose chase or is a wetbrained idiot. Ben

Reply to
benteaches

All the above may be true but you should use distilled water.

Al

Reply to
Big Al