Automotive (tractor, really) cushioning/dampening foam???

JD 4440 tractor radiator workover...
Original had high density roughly 3" wide by 1" thick foam on underside of hood across full width of radiator for cushion -- fell apart (it's only 30-yr old) and the green paint replacement part is now only a low density 1x1 square piece o' junk won't last a year...
Anybody know of place to get such material as the original easily/quickly? Haying and need the tractor back in service -- will stick something in there for temporary but I'm not wasting $40 on the JD part...didn't find anything suitable at local NAPA or other normal parts suppliers.
dpb wrote:

Three possibilities:
1. Industrial plastics suppliers typically carry foams in a variety of densities.
2. Companies that do custom shipping cases typically carry foams in a variety of densities.
3. Sewing / crafts stores typically carry upholstery foam in a more limited variety of densities.

3A. Upholstery shop.
I'd look into the black, round, insulation sold to insulate pipe. You might have difficulty finding the right diameter, but by going a tad larger and trimming might work.
Nonny

Check with your local upholsterer. He/she likely has some scrap foam to give you. I throw away scraps all the time.
Ask if he/she might have some scraps of Combustion Modified Fire Retardent foam (required in California, code 117), but often used elsewhere.
Sonny
Find a place that sells Armaflex in sheets. You may be able to be happy with the pipe shaped pieces.
--
DanG
On 8/7/2010 10:14 AM, dpb wrote:

Don't just use anything. It will have to hold up to radiator temperature which eliminates things like polyethylene. Find something rated for temperature and solvents that might be encountered like gasoline.
Frank wrote: ...

Well, DOH! Wonder if Idda thunk of that of all things...

Can you just roll up an old towel and lay it in place of the foam?
--
Tegger