Automobiles

Page 4 of 4

wrote in message

Damn! Only a dozen Republicans left in the world and one of them had to rear his ugly head here.
Freckles wrote:

How dare you insult me that way! I'm not a Republican, Republicans disgust me but Democrats are special, they horrify me. I'm a proud American Anarchist. I belong to PAP "the Progressive Anarchist Party" We hate everyone equally and believe that America needs more PAP.
TDD
I used to perform a lot of my own repairs when I had a 1979 Chevy C/K Pickup. Now the only thing I do on my 2002 GMC Yukon is to change the oil.
For me the big reason is because of the increased complexity. For example to change the fuel filter I'd have to de-pressurize the fuel injection system. Whereas with the 79 Chevy I could change the fuel filter as easily as changing a light bulb. I do believe that cars have become a lot more computerized these days making it harder for the driveway DIY mechanic.

I even gave up on oil changes. Last one was my '91 Regal. I bought the oil and filter and drove it up on the ramps for the first change. Crawled under and it took me a few minutes to find the filter, then it took a while to figure out how to reach it. What a PITA. Since I bought two filters, I did one more change a few months later and have gone to a local shop since.
My '01 Le Sabre needed a battery and I even had that done. The battery in under the rear seat. You also have to keep 12V feeding the system of you lose the radio (anti-theft system) and have to enter a code. I have no idea where the code is.
Changing spark plugs used to be simple, but now the back 3 on many transverse engine are best done from under the car. I don't have a lift. Fortunately, they last 100,000 miles or more.

Try the cam belt in a 97 Prelude. If you read the (Mitchell) shop manual it is right behind the instructions for removing the engine. I think that is on purpose. That is the first time I have ever "retreated" on a car repair. It is not like most transverse OHC cars. There is nothing you can remove to get access to the front of the engine and the clearance is about 1 - 1.5". The dealer wants $1000 to do it, only as part of a larger service package. When the belt breaks this sucker is going to be "electric".
On Sun, 10 May 2009 07:38:09 -0400, against all advice, something

I can't see my spark plugs, from any angle. I only have faith that they are even there.
--

Real men don\'t text.

On Fri, 08 May 2009 16:43:27 -0400, against all advice, something

And he has a point. They are all the same age, and they have all been thorough the same service cycles.
When one headlight goes out, replace them both. Unless they are from the planet Xenon. The Xenonese are proud of their headlights, and charge accordingly.
--

Real men don\'t text.