Automobile cover

I have this weird idea of making an automobile cover to protect my Nissan against the So. Calif. sun.

Putting those silver screens in windshield, then moving them to back window, is not only a hassle, but doesn't protect leather interior from side sunlight.

The covers sold in auto parts stores are much too bulky for small moi to rassle with each time I want to go somewhere.

So I thought I would create a lightweight curved cover that can be lifted off in one piece -- at least big enough to fit over the roof and shade all the windows.

I would take a white bedsheet and fasten it to a pair of curved ???? -- PVC is probably too flexible, so what should I use? Bamboo? Or?

I want the framework to be rigid enough to \\enable me to lift off cover in one motion.

Am I stark raving mad, or could this fly?

Or am I better off getting one of those canopy-type jobbies? But will they let sunlight in the sides?

Criticism, suggestions (esp. for rigid members of curved cover eagerly solicited. You folks see right through problems!

Higgs Boson

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I agree. Also, don't ever buy a car with a black top or a black interior. Unless you're in the Yukon and you need the heat.

I'll admit they don't have some of the features that you list below, but otoh, if they still sell them, and I suspect they do, this will only take 10 minutes. I haven't paid attention for years, but

had a large selection of car covers, including those that only coer the roof and the windows. I have one like that that fits a Chryser LeBAron and cars that size. (Although I have to check. The one I'm thinking of might just be transparent vinyl.)

If your car is smaller, you, or your grandmother, or a tailor, could probably tailor it to the size of your car.

Do you know those mesh men's t-shirts, that I'm told enable one to get a tan, but more slowly than with no shirt at all. I think your bedsheet will let a lot of sun through, even if it's percale. OTOH, an old sheet could be a good thing to use for a first effort.

I don't think bamboo can be bent at all, but I may be wrong.

Rattan bends well, after being soaked in water. I would think the chlorine in a swimming pool wouldn't hurt it much. Check out how to make rattan furniture. We used to have a whole set of that stuff, designed for the porch, so I think it takes rain water well after it's soaked a lot, bent, and dried.

So you're only going to use this at home?

You're mad and it could work well.

???

Maybe you can get a really big piece of tupperware, and use the bottom. I'm sort of serious. If you note the dimensions of your car, starting at the bottom of the windows, and keep your eyes open, you may find a box already made. Then just put some felt on it so it doesn't abrade your car, or something so that it rests on the chrome strips just below the windows, and you might be done. At least it will give you time to think about the second prototype.

I had cloth furniture in the living room, and the side of the 2-seater that faced the window just fell apart, although I think it took at least 15 years. Of course it got sunlight all the time, usually through the large sliding glass door. In my 6 convertibles, I've had 3 with vinyls seats, 2 with leather, and now one with cloth. When I first got it I was worried about the sun doing to the seats what it did to the 2-seater, especially when i put the top down.. But so far, my 1995 Chrysler shows no problem. And I park it outside all year, in Baltimore fwiw. Of course the roof is up when it's parked and that keeps the sun of off most of it.

Reply to
mm

[...]

Forget the framework. Sew rare-earth magnets into the hem of the sheet.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I have never used a car cover, but I know they can cause damage to the paint, especially if the cover &/or car is not clean. Observe.

Any good outdoorsman(mountainclimber) knows all about Aluminum alloys. The size, strength, weight, durability and flexibility for starters. If you look a the prices and pole materials of all the tents at the www below you can get an idea of whats good, better, best, then buy replacement section(s), or go to a steel mfr/supply co. (hollow) Tent poles often have a "zipcord ?" running through them to connect them all pole pieces into one which folds up of specific length. Often the fabric of the (good) tent will have sleeves instead of loops for quicker set-up. There are numerous connection fasteners which goes any which way for any number of pieces. Vestibules and cnopys may fold out. There may be single pieces which do an entire entry in a near 360 circle. And ene to end connections are crucial. I'm sure these things go like hotcakes. The pole itself bends to a degree. An entire spider or igloo may be 8 x2 pole pieces with a central hub (proprietary fastener hardware and may be "wired permanently" together to never seperate (except repair/replace), fold up in one piece, and may take literally 30 seconds to set up. I wouldn't get scared off by the price of this specific sku:

Reply to
bent

"Poles are Yunan aluminum, connected to a central hub for rapid assembly. Floating connectors make repairs simple: raw tube can just be cut to length"

from

bent

Look at a tent. A dome type tent. Look at the hollow poles with the shock cord / bungie cord inside them. These are available as parts in really well socked outdoor euipment stores like REI.

You can probably sew up a white cover with tabs in it to hold the ends of the tent poles.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

Uh...why "rare-earth magnets" rather than ordinary ones?

Straight question.

TIA

Higgs Boson

Reply to
aspasia

Thanks to all for creative suggestions.

I went to Whitney, and they do have two types of covers, one just a canopy; one complete enclosure. Problem is the dimensions - 10 x 20. My driveway is old and narrow so would never fit.

Don't think I want to spend the $$ for the aluminum poles per one suggestion.

I have a fairly expensive mountain tent of the type described by one poster. If I can find it in the garage, I'll see if it's doable. (Might also be stealable, in an open driveway!)

As soon as I get answer about "rare-earth magnets" I'll try to decide between a double-thick white sheet w/magnets and a low-priced car cover from the auto parts store down the street. I bought one years ago for another car from Pep Boys, and recall it being a real hassle to remove&replace, so I returned it.

I actually DID implement the sheet/magnets solution half-assedly during a period of several months when I didn't drive the car; just left it in the driveway under the cruel sun... That may be the low-tech solution, if I can attach tapes to the sheet seams so that the magnets can be placed lower down on the car body to resist wind.

Bamboo certainly IS bendable - look at at the garden items made of shaped bamboo, and building scaffolds ubiquitous in even developed Asian countires - but I wouldn't want to bother with acquiring the bamboo, soaking it and shaping it. Overkill.

One last possibility is to get flexible PVC piping shaped to fit car top, and fill it with something to give it rigidity. But what? And would it make pipes too heavy?

What about a combo of PVC pipes not curved to shape of car top and not filled to give rigidity; just serving as frames for the double sheet tacked to the pipes, then attached to tapes holding magnets.

Still grasping onto my dream...

Higgs Boson

Reply to
Higgs Boson

"Bras" for cars are certainly popular; your idea for a "beanie" could be too.

Reply to
HeyBub

They're much stronger for the size.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

*Far* higher grab-to-size and grab-to-weight ratio.
Reply to
Doug Miller