Automatic Pool Water Leveler, Anyone Built One?

Page 2 of 3

On 16/07/10 7:17 PM, Orak Listalavostok wrote:

On my pool they plumbed in a fill line, but it's by the skimmer, it's by the steps.
If you don't have that, you can plumb something in over by the suction side of the pump if you don't want to use a hose.
<snip>

There is no overflow valve plumbed into the pool. I haven't seen them on any pools out here.
Before we re-did the pool and replaced the concrete, there was access to the pool light wiring from the concrete deck, but the code changed and now it would be really hard to get to the light wiring conduit to sense the water level.
SMS wrote:

"http://www.ingramproducts.com/Pumps_Level_Controls-24_VAC_Multi_function_Moisture_Sensing_Relay.html "

"http://www.ingramproducts.com/Pumps_Level_Controls-Custom_Sensor_Assemblies_for_Liquid_Level_Control_1.html "

You might try looking for water tank float switches. They'd probably do much of what you're after.

There is something called google, go and type in Float Valve, you will be lucky.

I think your going to need something to average out the result.. unless you don't mind the valve turning on and off with every wave..
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 19:22:20 -0700 (PDT), Mark wrote:

They must make a garden hose variety which turns on and off an external source of water.
I looked for these myself. One problem is how to mount them in the pool, the waves being one problem, and just kids kicking it and breaking it another problem.
About the only place it can fit is in one of the four corners of the pool, bolted to the gunnite.

If you feed the water to an auxiliary sump via a small hose, the average water height will be correct, the hose will filter out the wave variations.

Precisely the problem my friend has who owns one.
Steve

You wouldn't put such a valve in the main pool itself, however you would want to locate it somewhere connected to that body of water where it would not be subject to wave action when the pool is being used and the automatic filling of the pool would create waves itself which might add too much water...
You would want to build a chamber of some sort, like a sump pit, connected to the pool with a large diameter pipe... Within that chamber you would install the float valve which would regulate the water level of the pool... Since a body of water always levels itself out this would work as long as the water inlet where the water is to be added is not within the chamber and was located far enough away so that any motion or turbulence created by the addition of the water would not effect the operation of the float valve... The idea of a body of water always leveling itself out is why water levels are used in construction on some projects where a laser level is overkill or not an affordable option...
~~ Evan
Float valve adapted from a swamp cooler worked for me. I used a steel 2 X 4 stud bend 90 degrees as the bracket. Not the best looking thing but it only used when I'm on vacation.

"http://www.ingramproducts.com/Pumps_Level_Controls-24_VAC_Multi_function_Moisture_Sensing_Relay.html "
"http://www.ingramproducts.com/Pumps_Level_Controls-Custom_Sensor_Assemblies_for_Liquid_Level_Control_1.html "
On 15/07/10 9:19 PM, John Keiser wrote:

Yeah, I'm only looking for something for when I'm on vacation, though still I'd like it to be not a total kludge. A float valve is a good idea. Not as elegant as the probes and relay, but a lot cheaper.

In addition to the other suggestions...
Visit the local ag supply store (Tractor Supply Store, Grange, etc) Get a 'stock tank float'. Purpose built to do exactly what you want. How to mount it will be up to you. It just needs to be clamped to something (comes with the clamp).
Harry K
SMS wrote:

"http://www.ingramproducts.com/Pumps_Level_Controls-24_VAC_Multi_function_Moisture_Sensing_Relay.html "
"http://www.ingramproducts.com/Pumps_Level_Controls-Custom_Sensor_Assemblies_for_Liquid_Level_Control_1.html "
Scavage a level control valve from a washing machine someone throws out. Attach a plastic tube to it and run the tube into the pool. Adjust the level of the bottom of the tube until it switches at the desired water level. Attach the water control valve to its power source through the switch on the level switch. Use a double throw relay to reverse the switching if the level switch doesn't have double throw connections.

"http://www.ingramproducts.com/Pumps_Level_Controls-24_VAC_Multi_function_Moisture_Sensing_Relay.html "
"http://www.ingramproducts.com/Pumps_Level_Controls-Custom_Sensor_Assemblies_for_Liquid_Level_Control_1.html "
A friend of mine has a spendy one that's all plastic, and a real POS. It is forever falling over, and then the water runs continuously. It is fed by a simple garden hose. A McGyver type guy could make one simple enough. The problem is finding a place in the pool where it is protected from rowdy kids, and having it weighted so that it won't fall over and free flow. I don't think either problem is insurmountable. As for a way to open the drain diverter, that would take more machinery, and that could be prone to failure or mistake, in which case you might just lose several thousand gallons of water. I'd consider a sensor just like the one that senses low level, but have that sensor activate a pump to drain the water, and kick off once the water level is down. If one is an electric type person, a low voltage sensor should not be difficult, and that can run to either an actuator to fill, or to a pump to drain.
Steve
On 15/07/10 10:00 PM, Steve B wrote:

I saw those for sale, and I thought that it would not work well. the worst thing would be if it failed in a way that the water ran continuously.
My first thought when I read the headline. Doesn't water seek its own level already? You gonna get out into the pool with your zamboni, and level it off just to be sure?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 16/07/10 6:19 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

In the winter I use the Zamboni on the pool to level the ice, but I have to be sure that the pool is frozen solid.

4 inches is enough.
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 10:09:48 -0700 (PDT), Thomas wrote:

What is a Zamboni?
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 19:18:18 -0700, Judy Zappacosta

It's a forklift sized "truck" that resurfaces the ice on an ice rink.