Automatic outside light.

I have an outside light on automatic. Supposed to be light sensing. Everyone in The Villages has one. My question is.. Why is my light the last to go off in the morning? How hard (and expensive) to replace the sensor? Probably dates to 1990.
TIA
Lou
LouB wrote the following:

the others, such as under an eave or porch roof.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Probably because either the sensor is located somewhere so it gets hit with less sunlight, the sensor is dirty, or the sensor actually requires more light to activate it.

That would be determined by whether the sensor is replaceable without replacing the fixture, what kind of fixture it is, where it's located, and who does the work. It could be anything from a $20 fixture that you can reach with a stool and do yourself, to a light on top of a pole that requires a bucket truck.

Well sensor faces due west, but is easy to get at.
Unscrewed plastic outer nut. No visable way to replace sensor without taking off whole the whole fixture so I think I will stop wondering:-))
Lou
LouB wrote:

The fact that it faces west could be your answer. What direction do others face in the locality. Does yours come on before others?
If you altered, it might start later and go off earlier.
Clot wrote:

Teach me to talk to the wife whilst I replied!
With it in the direction it is now yours could come on later than others if theirs are facing in another direction and that yours goes off later as a result of the sensor receiving sufficient light later than others!

The sun comes up in the east. If you can't rotate the fixture 180 degrees you could try making a small reflector to get the sun pointing at the sensor. I doubt a new one will fix anything. Test it with a small piece of aluminum foil. These usually take a few minutes to respond so just set it up and wait to see how it does the next morning. If that works, use a small mirror or other shiny metal, maybe a chrome doodad from the auto parts store.
On Mar 9, 9:08am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

re: "use a small mirror or other shiny metal"
I can see the News reports now...
"Police are baffled at the increase in the number of early morning automobile accidents in The Villages.
Drivers are claiming that they were blinded by a bright light as they drove west in The Villages towards a home owned by long time resident LouB. One driver, an epileptic, claims the light caused her to have a seizure and she lost control of her vehicle.
Town Officials (and some local scientists) have been investigating the issue, trying to determine the source of the alleged "blinding light".
In an interview Monday night, Professor Moriarty, Dean of Optics at the nearby State University said Its almost as if someone has mounted a mirror on a lamp post.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

ROTFLMAO!!
Luckily I live on a cul-de-sac so I may try the suggestion.
Thanks to both of you:-))
Lou

Most of the sensors have adjustment knobs. You may want to readjust them. Also face it EAST, where the sun rises. Probably cheaper to replace the whole fixture than just the sensor. You can still use the old one as a standard (switched) flood light fixture by removing the sensor, if it's one with separate screw together pieces.
LouB wrote:

Tried to clean the sensor lens?
Tony Hwang wrote:

Yes. No joy.
LouB wrote:

No sensitivity adjustment for light sensor? Ours have sensitivity and time delay adjustment which are very handy.