Automatic Hot Water Reduction to Control Long Showers

Page 1 of 2
I have a problem with certain family members and exceedingly long showers. Pleading and screaming has no effect. The water bills and the gas bills are outrageous.
I've seen some commercial products that control long showers but they are poorly reviewed and expensive.
I was thinking of a solenoid controlled valve on the hot water line of the shower. I'd plumb in a bypass to keep a tiny amount of hot water going in, but cut off the bulk of the hot water with a valve like this: <(Amazon.com product link shortened)> (rated to 80°C).
To trigger the micro-controller that controls the valve I'd use a flow sensor such as <(Amazon.com product link shortened)> (rated to 100°C). A dishwasher valve would also work.
So basically it would be a flow sensor and a solenoid controlled valve in series with the hot water line, and a bypass with a manual valve.
On 1/12/2014 10:21 AM, sms wrote:

My daughter did the same. I reduced the temperature of the hot water tank over a few weeks time. She still stayed in the shower until the hot water ran out but then it ran out a lot sooner.
I got used to the somewhat less than scalding hot water and still keep the water temp at the lower setting.
Buy the way, I didn't tell my wife what I did. It is true, silence is golden. :)
LdB
On 1/12/2014 8:21 AM, sms wrote:

This is an attempt to solve a social problem with technology. It's a catch-22. If you can't control them with words or other sanctions, they'll just find a way to get back at you for your technological solution. Probably easier to put a humidity or temperature sensor on an air-raid siren.
Teach them how to pleasure themselves before they get into the shower.
On 1/12/2014 10:30 AM, mike wrote:
<snip> > This is an attempt to solve a social problem with technology.

Timer controlled valves for showers are pretty common since they're used for coin-operated showers at campgrounds, etc. <http://www.kingsupply.com/Brass-Body-Solenoid-Valve-for-Shower-Timer-p/sol12b.htm .
What's different is that I would not use a timer controlled by coins or tokens, but one that starts when the hot water begins to flow and that cuts the hot water supply after a certain number of minutes.
Per sms:

Changing showers to coin-operated plus upping everybody's allowance by an amount equal to the expected normal shower time per week would be the solution I'd expect to work.
Let her feed quarters into the thing to her heart's content.... but after a certain point, they're going to be *her* quarters.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 1/12/14 3:34 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Plus she keeps any extra shower money to spend on whatever.
On 1/12/2014 6:04 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

I like it. Allows her to take ownership of her own behavior. Bravo!
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/12/14 5:20 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Ya know, we are guilty of profiling. We, me, assumed sms was talking about a teenage daughter. SMS never identified the culprit.

I also plead guilty as charged.
But I'd still put money on it's being a daughter.
--
Pete Cresswell

If you are wrong will you put that money towards paying for the offender's long showers?
On 1/12/2014 8:46 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I was not able to find the old messages on my machine. But, that's also my guess.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/12/2014 5:46 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

You lose.
On 1/12/2014 4:48 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

Son.
On 1/12/2014 9:28 PM, sms wrote:

My apologies, sorry.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

That reminds me of an apartment I lived in. Instead of expensive coin operated washers and dryers, the owners installed a coin operated power controller, which was really nothing more than a timer. The cord for the standard washer and dryer each went into a coin box. The sign said $0.75 per load. As soon as the third quarter was inserted, the power came on and stay on for a set number of minutes.
I learned early on that if you added a quarter during the cycle it would extend the time. If you were ready to switch loads as soon as the first one was done, you had just enough power to do 2 loads for $1.00. If you were a little late, it might cost you $1.25.
On 1/12/2014 5:43 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I've seen that too but it makes little sense. The reason that the commercial machines are more expensive is not the coin slide it's that they build them with much more rugged components in order to have them stand up to continuous use.

Each building in the complex only had 4 apartments, 2 one bedroom and 2 slightly larger 2 bedrooms, but the 2nd bedroom was pretty small. In most cases there were never more than 8 people per building and even that was a lot. It was mostly singles and couples, not too many kids.
The rugged commercial machines would probably be overkill but with enough $1.50 wash & dry loads, they probably made enough to maintain the standard machines. That' sustainable my guess, I never did the math. Of course, if enough people used the timing trick that I did, that would throw their numbers way off.
On 1/12/2014 8:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I have purchased several commercial machines. One set for a townhouse I rent. The upside is that under normal residential use they are likely to last for 25 years or more.

Whoops..emailed you by mistake. Sorry.
Anyway, I wasn't running the complex, just washing my clothes. ;-)
If you want to call them and find out why, 30 years ago, they were using residential washers instead of commercial machines, I can send you their current number. Let me know. ;-)
On Sunday, January 12, 2014 9:21:08 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:

½C). A

I had one daughter who hogged the shower and I solved this by going down to the basement and slowly closed the hot water valve to the bathroom. When the screaming stopped as the cold water hit, I opened the valve a bit. She soon learned to play fair and allow others thei r turn in the bathroom. ==