Auto Question: What are these shock absorber-like things called

On a pickup truck topper, there are those two things that hold up the rear window. They look like small shock absorbers. I need to replace mine, because they wont hold the window up anymore. But I am not sure what to ask for at the parts store. What are they called? I was gonna google it, but not sure what words to use for that either.

Reply to
Paintedcow

bob_villain

Gas springs

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I'd call 'em window lifters. Believe me, your parts house guy will know, if you describe them as you have above. Different brands will probably use different names.

Today I went to Ace hardware to buy replacement blue screws that anchor into cement. I had used my Tapcons a day ago. The new ones I got are tappers. Go figure. Much same with your gas shocks, pneumatic lifters, gas lifters, or so on.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Gas struts. Mine just cost me $25 each Canadian from my local camping/trailer dealer. From NAPA they were over 30.

Reply to
clare

Looks like Gas Struts and Lift Supports are both correct terms. Thanks for the info.

BTW: Napa is always high priced. I rarely go there.

Reply to
Paintedcow

Wrong , in the competition for your auto-part dollar they are about the same price - for similar quality . If you wanna buy cheap parts , buy cheap parts . And buy them more often .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Oren posted for all of us...

+100 I am surprised he even mentioned Goggle. Heaven forbid he actually use it and learn something.
Reply to
Tekkie®

snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo posted for all of us...

NAPA is joyous you stay away...