Auto parts from eBay

Page 3 of 3
On 12/4/2015 4:33 PM, dangerous dan wrote:

The Napa places near me, most of them can get one tomorrow, also. I hope things work well for you, and the new starter gives service for many years.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I don't recall reepacing starter on any car my family owned. Few times replaced alternator tho. We make sure we have good battery. Start with touch of a button or right away turning the key regardless of season.
On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 6:31:15 PM UTC-6, Tony Hwang wrote:

I had a '66 Chev, solenoid would just click...flip the copper contacts for a new surface and good for another 175K. I worked on a friends Opel, it wou ld fail when it was under a heavy load (cold weather). The field winding in sulation broke-down and would short-out to the case. We used some thin bake lite for a fix.

Success. That was actually fun replacing the starter. It's been 40 years since I had to replace one. It was nice to have the truck start right up.
I had to go in through the wheel well to get at the bolts, and manipulate it out. The first bolt was so tight I had to use an impact wrench. I don't have any metric impact sockets and was worried the regular socket would break, but everything worked out just right.
What took so long was rotating the flywheel to make sure it wasn't broken. That was slow and tiring.
I got a good look at the alternator while I was under the hood. It's starting to look old and worn. At least it's in a place that won't be much trouble to change out, when it's time.
I'm buying three jumper cables on eBay for Christmas gifts for my neighbors for helping me get it started the other day when it needed to be towed to get started. One of the cables is for me. EBay has a really good price on them, and they come in a case. My neighbors jumper cables were so bad they should have been replaced 10 years ago.
Thanks everyone for all the advice.
Have a very merry Christmas, and a happy new year.
--
Usenet Reader for Android
http://android.newsgroupstats.hk
On 12/5/2015 8:21 PM, dangerous dan wrote:

Sounds like a good time was had by all. Very nice to hear good news, now and again. Thank you.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Get the EBay starter. If it fails, you can get a refund with the EBay guarantee, if not the vendor.
On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 2:09:14 PM UTC-5, Eagle wrote:

There are 2 very important questions that need to be asked before taking that advice:
1 - When the part fails, which route gets you the replacement part faster and with the least inconvenience - eBay or Napa?
2 - Which part has a higher chance of failing in the first place?
Sometimes it's worth paying extra for peace of mind.
DerbyDad03 pretended :

That's called life. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. The check is in the mail I'll do it tomorrow I won't c...... 8-o
On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 4:18:48 PM UTC-5, Eagle wrote:

Both "paying extra for peace of mind" and "Nothing ventured, nothing gained" are part of life.
The goal is to choose the right strategy at each opportunity. The "right strategy" can be different for different people, even when looking at the same opportunity. That's called life.
DerbyDad03 was thinking very hard :

Make a mistake, their fault. Repeat that mistake, your fault. Thats called a fuckup. ^^

I only fuck up when my wife is on top.
--
Usenet Reader for Android
http://android.newsgroupstats.hk
dangerous dan wrote on 12/7/2015 :

:') Good catch DD... :D
On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 6:54:58 PM UTC-5, Eagle wrote:

You obviously aren't getting my point.
Moving on...
DerbyDad03 was thinking very hard :

No, I got it, I'm just trying to humorize this. ^^
On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 2:09:14 PM UTC-5, Eagle wrote:

What Ebay guarantee? The only Ebay guarantee I'm aware of is if the seller doesn't send the part, sends something that is different than described, or if it's DOA. If it fails 4 months later, I don't think it's EBay's problem, AFAIK. Also, the labor cost or your personal trouble in replacing a bad component has to be factored in. Even if the Ebay seller has a warrantee, are you going to be OK with no vehicle for 10 days while you send it back? Some vendors may send a replacement immediately, charging you for it, then credit it back if and when they determine the one you sent back was defective. If you buy it at a local parts store, all that is pretty much avoided. Not saying not to buy parts on Ebay, but you have to be careful and look at all the angles. I recently got a great deal on a brand new Bosch starter, but I knew what I was getting and willing to take the chance.
trader_4 used his keyboard to write :

I had an issue with a vendor, and after several F U emails, Paypal sent Me a refund, and I sent the item back to asshat. I got a few more F U emails, but never replied to them. I bet he was not a happy camper... :D
On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 4:21:54 PM UTC-5, Eagle wrote:

PayPal and eBay are not the same thing. They each have a different protection policy.
eBay
http://pages.ebay.com/ebay-money-back-guarantee/questions.html
PayPal
https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security
on 12/7/2015, DerbyDad03 supposed :

They do now. EBay bought out paypal, and just recently sold paypal. I haven't sold anything on EBay in over a year now.