Auto parts from eBay

Page 1 of 3
A store on eBay has a new starter for my vehicle for $80.00. NAPA auto parts has one starting at $130.00.
Do you think buying a starter from eBay would be a good starter?
Does anyone have any bad experiences buying auto parts, like a starter from eBay?
The eBay store is located in the US, although the part is probably made in China. It will be shipped from the US.
On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 00:59:53 -0600, "dangerous dan"

I don't know, but I'm thinking if you gave the url it might help decide. Of course we might buy it out from under you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331284219233?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 04:01:05 -0600, "dangerous dan"

You can get it on Rockauto.com for $82 and up depending on brand and you are dealing with a real company.
Ashton Crusher pretended :

You pay for shipping with rock auto....

True but OTOH you aren't betting a "startNcrank" brand starter. The $82 one was listed as Denso.
On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 3:34:09 PM UTC-5, Ashton Crusher wrote:

If it's the one on Ebay you're referring to, in the manufacturer's field on Ebay it says "CranknCharge". At best it has conflicting info as to what it really is.
On Tue, 8 Dec 2015 06:04:51 -0800 (PST), trader_4

Yeah, I knew it had "crank" in the name. CrankNwank, CrankNspank, DankNcrank.... I've got nothing against buying on ebay but that didn't strike me as any great deal compared to just going with a "name brand" part and supplier.
dangerous dan presented the following explanation :

"This part has been inspected by our engineers to insure quality, and comes with a rock-solid warranty for your peace of mind. We're not satisfied if you're not satisfied!"
There you go. It's also a 'new' part, so buy it.
On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 2:11:32 PM UTC-5, Eagle wrote:

Sounds familiar.
- I gave at the office. - The check is in the mail. - I won't ... OK, we'll skip the third one.
DerbyDad03 brought next idea :

:D
On 12/3/2015 11:59 PM, dangerous dan wrote:

Where will you be returning your old starter to recover the core charge? Or, are you expecting to forfeit that?

There is no core charge. They don't want the old one.
On 12/4/2015 3:51 AM, dangerous dan wrote:

I'd be inclined to buy only the parts needed to fix the old starter and repair it. Bushes, the contacts, bushings if needed. Check out the youtube videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH4ufMHBgOw
if you haven't done it before. I've bought parts from e-bay and if you buy from a reputable seller I don't see a problem.
On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 00:59:53 -0600, "dangerous dan"

The seller has positive feedback and has had man sales. I'd be inclined to go for it. To save $10, no, but for $50, yes.
On 12/4/2015 1:59 AM, dangerous dan wrote:

Denso is the manufacturer and is a decent brand. Though, I'd buy from Rock auto first
https://www.rockauto.com/
They have a great reputation with more selections and prices to suit your need.
On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 5:53:10 AM UTC-5, SBH wrote:

I doubt this is really a Denso starter. In the beginning of the listing in the field for manufacturer, manufacturer's part number, etc it clearly says Crank-n-Charge. That means it's a cheap no-name, typically Chinese, that the lister is selling under their own house name. Later down in the description, it does say the manufacturer is Denso, so at the very least it's totally contradictory. Usually these kinds of listings don't flat out contradict, instead they list equivalent Denso, Bosch numbers to mislead you into thinking it's made by them. But this one, flat out says two different things.
It's been my experience on Ebay that when it's really made by Denso, Bosch, etc, then they put that right in the listing header, because it's a premium part and they want people to see it when they look at all the listings. Also, typically when it's a part from a major manufacturer, the picture shows it, has the manufacturer's name in the pic, a pic of the box, etc. This one has a generic pic. I wouldn't buy it. I only buy ones on Ebay where it's absolutely clear what I'm getting. There are plenty of cheap, crap Chinese parts out there. Even then I've heard some reports of people getting counterfit parts, where it's still Chinese junk packaged to try to look like a Lemforder, Bosch, etc.
Though, I'd buy from

+1
I always look at local pricing too, eg Advance Auto. And as someone else mentioned, if a core exchange is involved, factor that in. Shipping back a core versus dropping it off locally can eat up the worth of the core.

+1 re Rock Auto
Also if its a DENSO starter, you might simply need to replace the solinod contacts instead of the entire starter.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q so+starter+contacts
Mark

It is a DENSO, here's a link to the picture. Although changing the solinod contacts would probably fix the problem, I've decided to just buy a new starter from NAPA since the vehicle is so old. I should be able to get one today, without having to wait days for one to be shipped. After clicking a few times the vehicle started, so I'm off to the parts store.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x4xr2l8633mjnt8/AAD-30-ax_r4LAM9BNtLy30ha?dl=0
--
Usenet Reader for Android
http://android.newsgroupstats.hk
On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 8:57:57 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
...Good advice snipped...

autoanything.com is another good source. They will match prices. I thought Amazon was cheaper for my rotors. When I mentioned this to a rep from autoanything she looked at Amazon and determined that Amazon was going to charge me tax which would actually make the price higher. She did her homework and got the sale.

I don't know if I've mentioned my advanceauto.com process in this ng.
I find the parts I need, then start a chat session. I ask a simple, generic question about my part to build rapport, then ask if there are any additional discounts codes available. Sometimes it takes a little persistence, but it is extremely rare that I don't end up with a better price by the time I'm done. An additional 10% is common.
I then order the part(s) for "pick up in store" and 1/2 hour later, I can pick them up. Depending on how busy the store is, sometimes they are already pulled and ready for me, other times they pull them when I get there. They already have all of the part numbers so it goes pretty quickly.