Auto Paint Query

Page 1 of 3

I decided to do some touch-up painting on my car where the road pebbles had dinged the paint on the hood in the front near the headlight. I ordered the correct touch-up paint based on the paint color number. I guess I got a little overzealous in my usage, because now I have a pretty funny looking patchwork of obvious touch-up paint swatches in about a six-inch area of the car hood (or bonnet for you brit-holes). There are also a couple of other small spots that look funny.
A local auto body place does computer paint matching. Can I have them just paint these areas, or will they want to paint the whole car? How much do you think to just touch-up my rsfck-up?
Thanks for any useful information.

Just rub some sand on the newly painted areas.
--Tedward

Do you mean fine-grit sandpaper?

< <Do you mean fine-grit sandpaper?
I was kidding. Fine-grit might actually work, and what the hell, it already looks funny. Go real easy on it though.
I trust it's shinier and the color stands out as new, as opposed to the slightly faded paint of the rest of the car.
--Tedward

I figured you were yoking. I think I'm going to take it in and have the fine upstanding honest body shop guys give me an estimate.

They should be able to just fix your mess. At the worst they would repaint the hood.
Ken

I'm sure prices vary. But, say they wanted to paint the whole hood. What would the going rate be for just that at decent auto body shop? I really don't have a clue what something like this would cost. I've searched the web of semi-useless info, and I can't seem to get a fix on the dollars.
I'm sure prices vary. But, say they wanted to paint the whole hood. What would the going rate be for just that at decent auto body shop? I really don't have a clue what something like this would cost. I've searched the web of semi-useless info, and I can't seem to get a fix on the dollars.
Figure six hours at local labor rates plus around $40 in materials to do the entire hood.

Looks to be $40-45 an hour around these parts. So, maybe around $300.
Do you know if they can take a swipe at touching up small areas on the side of the car, without having to paint an entire door, or quarter- panel, etc.?

Looks to be $40-45 an hour around these parts. So, maybe around $300.
Do you know if they can take a swipe at touching up small areas on the side of the car, without having to paint an entire door, or quarter- panel, etc.?
Same likelihood as the hood I would imagine.
PanHandler wrote:

The trouble with "touching up small areas" is that the paint, even with computerized color-matching, is never an _exact_ match, so just touching up a small spot leaves a visible repair. The way around it is to use the spray gun to "blend" the color over a relatively wide area resulting in a gradual color change that isn't noticeable.
--John

I've found that touch-up paint is always darker than the real paint of the car - even on areas such as the sill of the boot/trunk or of the doors which don't see much sunlight so can't fade as a result of this. I've found that the best match comes from cleaning the brush in the lide of the tube of touch-up paint and then dipping it into the very top of the paint (which has been allowed to settle for a long time beforehand without shaking) so as to get the most dilute concentration of pigment in the base material. I know this goes against the advice to shake the paint throughly beforehand!
Providing the undercoat is the same colour as the top coat (*) then maybe it's better to cover it with clear lacquer rather than paint.
(*) I once had a car with dark green paint that had been applied on a white undercoat, so the least little scratch or stone chip showed up as white :-(
In article <08cce828-7f90-4844-9f89-04349aa99d56

Had you thought about picking up the phone and calling a couple of body shops and actually asking??

I am hearing impaired and like to use the internet newsgroups if possible, before I go in and have someone take advantage of my disability.
Mercellus,
Your State probably offers special telephone apparatus for the hearing impaired. Or you could fax or e-mail your query.
Dave M.

Just how "hearing impaired" are you"?
--
Tegger

He can hear a fly landing on a babbling brook.
--Tedward
On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 15:15:41 -0700 (PDT), Mercellus Bohren

Mercellus, I am totally sympathetic to this, but the bottom line is that you need to get local prices for this work, which presumably you will be getting done locally. My suggestion, as someone intimately familiar with your circumstances, is to get local prices from several body shops and then post back here with your results to see how they might compare. Make sure they are truly comparable (how many hours of labor, etc.).
Even better would be to ask friends and colleagues whom they've used for similar work, especially if they were happy with the businesses years after the work was done.
Your quest is a lot easier than mine: I'm getting prices for a driveway resurfacing job, and I'm having a hard time determining which contractors are reliable (this particular line of business is like roofing: full of disreputable characters). JoeSpareBedroom: can you tell me if Tumia Paving is a reliable business? I am avoiding Tandoi based on a couple of suggestions, but I can find nothing on Tumia, and I don't want to be seduced by the nice older couple that came over to give their price last night....

Don't be. At least not until he gives some sort of details about his "impairment".
--
Tegger

Excuse me? Why does s/he owe you or anyone else "details about his 'impairment'"? My interpretation, which no doubt you will reject, is that s/he is not comfortable making inquiries on the telephone (which, as Doug Miller pointed out, can be worked around by using the various relay services, but which are cumbersome compared with the ease that non-hearing-impaired people use the phone), or s/he may not understand people clearly when talking to them in person. Regardless, the OP is expressing a not uncommon feeling of uncertainty about the information being gathered, especially as a member of a group of people famously disconnected and cut off from the incidental flow of information you (presumably hearing as more than 90% of the populace is) take for granted. Some day you might be in this category, you know, and you'd appreciate a little sensitivity and respect.