Auto Headlight Restorer

Page 2 of 3
On 05/12/2015 02:16 PM, R. P. McMurphy wrote:

Sometimes. Fortunately there is a Harbor Freight a couple of blocks from where I work so I can walk over and interview the merchandise in person. The fewer moving parts the better although I've gotten my money's worth out of an electric impact hammer. I only need it every couple of years but so far it's gotten the job done.
On 5/12/2015 4:16 PM, R. P. McMurphy wrote:

That would be my guess. Now days, everything in America is made in China, except for Mexicans.
On 5/12/2015 10:01 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

How does that compare to pig on greased glass?
On 5/11/2015 8:23 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

I have not tried it on a headlight but used to have a good watch with a plastic face that would cloud and I restored it with tooth paste. Tooth paste contains a mild fine abrasive.
Plastic lenses are more subject to clouding as they are softer than glass and more likely to be abraded by grit and the like.
Do not try to clean up these lenses with solvents as most will attack them. You can clean them with maybe 10-15% rubbing alcohol in water.
On 5/12/2015 8:46 AM, Frank wrote:

I'll have to mention this to my dentist. She asked me to stop using baking soda as she says it's abrasive.
Do all tooth pastes contain abrasive? How about the clear gel ones? Not sure how I'd go find out?
On 5/12/2015 3:06 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes, and you are advised not to clean (plastic) dentures with tooth paste. They contain abrasives mild enough not to erode tooth enamel but still polish it.
Apparently baking soda is OK if not used more than twice a week: http://www.md-health.com/Brushing-Teeth-With-Baking-Soda.html
I assume they use tougher stuff for my biannual cleaning. I brush after all meals but still need the cleanings.
On 05/12/2015 01:06 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Same here. I have a tube of Arm & Hammer but I don't use it regularly. otoh Colgate Extra Super Whitening doesn't do much for tea and coffee stains. Sometimes I wonder which is worse, using the abrasive toothpaste or spending quality time with a dental hygenist polishing my fangs with flour of pumice?
snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com writes:

Has more to do with fuel economy. Glass is much heavier than plastic. Plastic, however, suffers degradation over time.

Harbor Freight.
On Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 10:00:11 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:

And I don't think it's a manufacturing problem. Plastic is just not as durable as glass. AFAIK, the fogging is typical of all cars that have plastic type lights.
On Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 10:32:10 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

...launch your own non-scientific study at a lot near you!
Next time you're in a parking lot take notice of the car manufacturers that have this clouding issue...seems to be MoPar mostly, then Ford. Very few GM products? This has to contribute to some deaths on the roads...

Why would you think that? It's strictly a cosmetic issue.
On Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 9:47:47 AM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Seriously...anything that hampers your abilities is a danger. Site being the most important when driving at night...it has nothing to do with being cosmetic to me.
On 5/12/2015 10:47 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Dingy headlights are more than cosmetic. Many would not pass state safety inspection. I have no idea if it has contributed to deaths, but I guess it is possible.
snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

I think not. it has dimming effect.
On 5/12/15 7:31 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

That way you won't blind oncoming traffic!
On 05/12/2015 05:55 PM, J Burns wrote:

Or scare the deer playing their silly deer games in the middle of the damn road.
On 5/12/2015 10:09 PM, rbowman wrote:

Union regulations limit them to pulling Santa's sleigh one night a year. It's the union's fault.
The world is falling apart.
On Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 6:31:54 PM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:

Also,I would think, de-focussing the high beam.
bob_villa wrote:

At the cost of reduced visibility.