Auto Headlight Restorer

...launch your own non-scientific study at a lot near you!

Reply to
bob_villa

You mean headlights lens? Use tooth paste to polish.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I heard about using toothpaste too. I tried that and it was a frigging mess. Maybe back in the day toothpaste was more like what I think of as polish but the toothpaste I tried is the modern kind where the bulk of it is a plastic based carrier and that plastic just balled up and made a sticky mess out of things.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I'll have to mention this to my dentist. She asked me to stop using baking soda as she says it's abrasive.

Do all tooth pastes contain abrasive? How about the clear gel ones? Not sure how I'd go find out?

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How does that compare to pig on greased glass?

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Also the kits start with a coarser abrasive to cut the top damaged layer off quickly, then progress to finer to finish it. I would think with TP it would be so fine that it would have a hard time cutting off the weather damaged top layer. But, all I know is the

3m kit worked. And for $10 or $15 it includes the buffing wheel that you use with a drill.
Reply to
trader_4

headlamp lens restorer kit

On sale, ten bucks.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Chinky junky?

Reply to
R. P. McMurphy

Yes, and you are advised not to clean (plastic) dentures with tooth paste. They contain abrasives mild enough not to erode tooth enamel but still polish it.

Apparently baking soda is OK if not used more than twice a week:

I assume they use tougher stuff for my biannual cleaning. I brush after all meals but still need the cleanings.

Reply to
Frank

| It is Harbor Freight headlight restoration kit. Seems you are SOL. |

OK. Thanks. At least I know now what he's talking about. :)

Reply to
Mayayana

I think not. it has dimming effect.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

That way you won't blind oncoming traffic!

Reply to
J Burns

Here's an article where allpar.com tried four methods in 2012. They found 3m's quick and easy.

J Burns

Also,I would think, de-focussing the high beam.

Reply to
bob_villa

Bingo. Looks like I picked the right one again.

Reply to
trader_4

At the cost of reduced visibility.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I've never had trouble spotting cars with fogged headlights.

Reply to
J Burns

Sometimes. Fortunately there is a Harbor Freight a couple of blocks from where I work so I can walk over and interview the merchandise in person. The fewer moving parts the better although I've gotten my money's worth out of an electric impact hammer. I only need it every couple of years but so far it's gotten the job done.

Reply to
rbowman

Try to find a small container of 3M finesse-it , use with a terry cloth pad/buffing pad cover . Alternative is a Meguier's wax/polish compound , has a very fine polishing compound in the wax . In a pinch I've used chrome polish ... these can all usually be found at your local auto parts store .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Or scare the deer playing their silly deer games in the middle of the damn road.

Reply to
rbowman