auto close gate mod help

hi all

I had a little project that turned a regular gate into an auto-close gate. the mod worked, unfortunately, it worked too well. the gate slams too hard and too fast. This action causes the gate to shift positions slightly along the wall everytime its used. suggestions on any way to slow it down?

this is what I used.

for the gate

springs:

2 snap hooks
dilbert firestorm

dilbert firestorm wrote in news:kKadnYVuz70OYIHQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@xfoneusa.net:

Perhaps you need longer springs.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

another spring to slow it down?

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

Would a storm door closer work? ww>

Reply to
WW

That's what I think too.

I fooled around with a friend's contraption, they used springs to self close doors. There's not much you can do to fix the obvious faults. Adapting a door closer (how about that, a common device made to do just that job!?) is a much better plan.

Jeff

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

won't that require 4 pieces of brackets and bolts over the poles on both sides of the gate?

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

you're right that there appears to be no way to fix this type of fault.

it does appear the door closer may be the way to go.

where do you suggest the door closer be mounted on the gate?

Reply to
dilbert firestorm