auto close gate mod help

hi all
I had a little project that turned a regular gate into an auto-close gate. the mod worked, unfortunately, it worked too well. the gate slams too hard and too fast. This action causes the gate to shift positions slightly along the wall everytime its used. suggestions on any way to slow it down?
this is what I used.
for the gate
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/larger/lg_22125_29772.jpg
springs: http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hardware-Fasteners-Door-Window-Repair-Springs/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg5Zarzf/R-202045465/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053
2 snap hooks http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg5/R-202205491/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053
--
<---=-Dilbert Firestorm-=--->
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Perhaps you need longer springs.
On 12/30/2010 8:06 PM, RobertPatrick wrote:

--
<---=-Dilbert Firestorm-=--->
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!
On 12/30/2010 10:26 PM, WW wrote:

I fooled around with a friend's contraption, they used springs to self close doors. There's not much you can do to fix the obvious faults. Adapting a door closer (how about that, a common device made to do just that job!?) is a much better plan.
Jeff
Jeff
On 12/30/2010 9:56 PM, Jeff Thies wrote:

it does appear the door closer may be the way to go.
where do you suggest the door closer be mounted on the gate?
--
<---=-Dilbert Firestorm-=--->
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!
On 12/30/2010 9:26 PM, WW wrote:

sides of the gate?