auto-changeover propane regulator

Are there auto-changeover propane regulators (or separate auto-changeover devices) for fixed (2x 1000 gallon) tanks? The propane company putting in my tanks had not heard of this, and Google searches turn up only ones for small RV tanks. Ideally something with a remote indicator would be nice; I could arrange for the computer to email me to call for a delivery...
Dan Lanciani wrote:

1000 gal tanks have gauges to read the percentage. 80%=full. 0%= almost empty. Depending on the type and size of load, you don't want the tanks to drain separately.

How much gas flow are you planning on? Will the RV regulator handle it? I have an auto-switch regulator on two 100-pound tanks for my standby generator. The regulator doesn't care of they are 5 gallon tanks or 10,000 gallon tanks, it just switches when the vapor pressure drops in one tank. Those auto-shift regulators are not just used in the RV world, they are used all over the south in places where rental 100# tanks are used for cooking and DHW.
I have never seen a remote indicating one, but I am not in the 'biz.
Vaughn
On Jun 24, 5:41pm, ddl@danlan.*com (Dan Lanciani) wrote:

Is there a reson you can't use the rv ones? Are you using the same pressure? I've not seen any with remote indicators though.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (jamesgangnc) writes: | On Jun 24, 5:41pm, ddl@danlan.*com (Dan Lanciani) wrote: | > Are there auto-changeover propane regulators (or separate auto-changeover | > devices) for fixed (2x 1000 gallon) tanks? The propane company putting| in | > my tanks had not heard of this, and Google searches turn up only ones for | > small RV tanks. Ideally something with a remote indicator would be nic| e; | > I could arrange for the computer to email me to call for a delivery... | > | > Dan Lanci| ani | > ddl@danla| n.*com | | Is there a reson you can't use the rv ones?
Yes, two reasons. First, as far as I can tell, the RV units are all low pressure regulators. That is, they drop the pressure to the final ~11" WC. I'm looking for a "first stage" regulator that drops the pressure to 10psi for the longish pipe to the house and generator. Second, most of the RV regulators have relatively low capacity. I think I found one that would probably have been enough (if it wasn't a misprint) but it still had the low-pressure output. The funny thing is that some (most?) of the RV units appear to consist of dual regulators with the first stage high-pressure switchover regulator coupled directly to the second stage regulator. It might be possible to take them apart, but I suspect that would void any safety listing.
| Are you using the same | pressure? I've not seen any with remote indicators though.
The RV ones have remote indicators which is what caught my eye in the first place. Unfortunately, after extensive additional Googling I've come to the conclusion that what I want just doesn't exist in the US. They are certainly available in the UK and I found a nice one in Israel, but here again I'd be worried about safety listing and codes if I imported one.
I may have to go back to the idea of a remote level readout. I initially dropped this because the propane company said they used to do it but that the product they used was no longer available. Now that I think about it they may have been talking about a comprehensive service that alerted *them* to the level in my tanks. I want to alert me. :) It looks like I should be asking for "remote ready float gauges" to which several kinds of senders can be attached. I'd like something hard-wired and with an output I can connect to a computer. The "residential" ones look to be wireless with just a visual bar graph, but some of the "commercial" ones look better.
ddl@danlan.*com (Dan Lanciani) writes:

I too need a propane tank level sensor scheme. I found <http://www.rochestergauges.com/Pages/PDFs/R3D.pdf mentioned.
In article

there is ONE BIG reason you can't RV tanks on a generator of any size. (10Kw) they are Vapor withdraw type tanks and they don't have enough surface area to allow the propane liquid to boil off into gas, without freezing up the tank.... duh... anyone who has ever tried it knows this...

Huh? The OP was asking about 2-1000 gallon tanks. That is plenty of surface area unless we are talking about sub-zero temperatures. The flow capacity of the regulator is a bigger concern.
Vaughn

Just killfilter that idiot. I did years ago.
Mike

Just killfilter that idiot. I did years ago.
Mike

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer of the RV regulators and asking them? If they don't make one, they may know who does and can point you in the right direction.
Gary
--
Gary Heston snipped-for-privacy@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com /

If you want to reduce the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere,
ddl@danlan.*com (Dan Lanciani) wrote:

Well, they are certainly bone stock standard for 100 lb portable tanks (not generally seen on RVs, commonly seen beside houses with gas stoves and dryers away from gas lines, up until the 250lb pigs become more standard.) Any propane company that changes tanks rather than running a tanker truck should have them - I don't know if they would have limitations that would not permit connecting a 1000 lb tank. Remote indicator is standard, but you'll need to come up with the electronics part of it if you want a computer to report the little red ring showing in the indicator. Usually it's just run on it's little copper tube to the closest window, so the homeowner can look out and see the red.