Atttic Storage?

Hi
New home with small opening to attic area. It is filled with about 8" of blown insulation. Can I put some boards down to give me some storage space and cover up some of the insulation?
Thanks, JJ
On 26 Jul 2003 08:33:02 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (JJ) wrote:

Sure. Don't squash any of the insulation. I put 3/4" ply down to create a walkway, then installed lighting and shelving between the "V's." Use discretion what is stored in the space--it get mightly hot and cold in mine. Be careful you don't step and fall through the ceiling.

Remember the temperture can get well above 100 degrees in the attic on summer days. WW

Then warren weber wrote:

That someone has installed eight inches of insulation suggests that your climate may include cold and possibly also hot conditions? Even if the ceiling joist are 8" deep (an unlikely size in a small house?) that 'blown' insulation may have been added on top of some original insulation in order to reduce heat loss? The boards may press down on the insulation compressing it and reducing its insulation value? A suggestion. You could perhaps put some 2 x 4 on the joists and then some boards or plywood over that to create a storage shelf/deck, without compressing the insulation very much. In addition to the normal vents for our attic we have had a fan working continuously to exhaust hot air from it for the past weeks and it's still as hot as Ha**s up there! By the same token the same roof space gets very cold in winter. So don't store something up in your attic that will not withstand those extremes!

This is Turtle.
You are learning What is to be learned in New Home Owner 101 .
In HomeOwner 202 you will learn the whole place is a store area.
TURTLE