Attic wiring-Adding flooring

Page 2 of 2
On Sat, 31 May 2014 11:03:41 -0400 in alt.home.repair, Ed Pawlowski

Worse than that, you have a stress raiser.
On 6/1/2014 9:22 AM, trader_4 wrote:

US NEC requires if edge of hole in stud/beam is <1-1/4" from edge, then it needs must have the 1/16" T steel cover plate over the location for protection. I'd suspect Canadian Code to be very close to same if not identical.

In unfinished attics, open cable across top of must have guard strips of minimum height > height/thickness of cable and if running across top, can _NOT_ be unsupported, _MUST_ be on a running board, not suspended. This is allowed if thru bored holes 4-1/2ft or less span (how they got that one, I don't know... :) ).
The flooring either side of a cutout could serve as the guard strip but I'd suggest covering the openings. I _think_ once the floor is in place the "no hanging" requirement is removed as it then is protected from having anything pulling it down or from being stepped on, etc., ...

On Sunday, June 1, 2014 1:43:56 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

That's where I was at too. The flooring protects it except where the cable crosses a joist, where he's proposing to cut a hole in the flooring. If he does that, the cable is recessed and I'd cover it with a metal nailing plate that are readily available in the building supply section of HD, etc. I would think most inspectors would pass that.
I think CLaire's argument is that once you cover it up, someone could potentially drive a nail into the attic floor between joists and hit the cable. I think that's unlikely though and the cable probably has enough give in between that a nail would just move it, not pierce the cable anyway.
I guess if the OP wants the definitive answer, he could ask the local inspector. The other factor here is with 2x6's you don't have much insulation. If the OP is in most of the USA, and it's an unheated attic, it would be a better idea to add some height, add more insulation and that solves the problem too. That's what I'd be looking at, if possible.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

This has been asked & answered so many times before! Do your research. Goggle is your friend.
--
Tekkie