Attic Wiring ?

Page 1 of 2
Hello:
Will be doing a fan installation in attic, and was wondering about the running of the wires, and what's allowable under the code.
Obviously, it's not a good idea to run them across the tops of the floor joists.
Nor, I would imagine between the bottom of the floor joists and the plasterboard ceiling for the rooms below (assuming there's a little space there)
So, how does one handle it if the floor seems likes the best routing ?
Is it allowable to just run across the "joists" (not sure if this is the correct word for) that hold the roof paneling in an area not likely to see any traffic such as very close to where the edge of the roof meets the walls ?
Or, is it required to drill a lole thru each joist or roof support joist for the wire ? Is this the only correct method ?
Or,... ?
Thanks, B.

as
for
I have no license. I did just have a house rewired. I have also been a DYI guy for a number of years. Keep them away from anywhere that some one may step on them and it is okay to run them across the joist on the the top of the joist. If and when you need to bring it towards the center of the attic, bring it straight up to the rafter and then take it to where you need to connect the fan. Keep it along the lower 2" of the rafter and support it with a proper cable staple every 16" or so.
Colbyt

Wrong.
"The installation of [NM ("Romex")] cable in accessible attics or roof spaces shall also comply with Section 333-12." [NEC, Article 336-13, NM Cable in Accessible Attics
That section reads:
"cables in accessible attics or roof spaces shall be installed as specified in (a) and (b) below.
(a) where run across the top of floor joists, or within 7 feet of floor or floor joists across the faces of rafters or studding, the cable shall be protected by substantial guard strips that are at least as high as the cable."

Also wrong (see above).
--
Regards,

DYI
may
of
spaces
specified in

cable."
Doug if you want to email me direct I will give you the contact numbers to discuss this with the local electrical inspector.
In all fairness, I think we may be disagreeing over the term "floor joists". My answer was for an attic area designed for limited or no storage area.
Colbyt
Colbyt wrote:

Technically, it's the term "accessible". If an attic is not accessible by a permanent ladder or stairs, guard strips are required only within 6 feet of the scuttle hole.

joists".
Thank you Volts.
I knew what I saw and what was done and inspected.
I also was pretty sure that Doug was right in his quote.
Colbyt

If your local electrical inspector approves it, then it's ok in your local jurisdiction - but it's *not* OK under the NEC, and a blanket statement such as you made ["it's okay to run them across the joist"] is not true.

No, I don't think so.

Then you should have said so. Even in that case, the Code still has specific requirements beyond simply "keep[ing] them away from anywhere that someone may step on them."
--
Regards,

"Then you should have said so. Even in that case, the Code still has specific requirements beyond simply "keep[ing] them away from anywhere that someone may step on them"
Give us a break Doug. The vast majority of attics are not designed for storage and have limited access. And the OP was asking about installing am attic fan, which also sounds like a typical thing done in an attic that offers limited access. If anything, it's you Doug who should have clarified the question before giving advice.

That may be a regional thing. I've lived in the Midwest all my life, and most of the attics I've seen *are* designed for storage, and have easy access.

It's a typical thing for an attic that's too hot. Ease of access has nothing to do with it.

Maybe you should read a bit more carefully before you criticise.
I made two responses: one to the OP, who asked if various wiring practices were permitted by Code (they aren't, and I told him so), and the other to a guy who told him that they are (he's wrong, and I told him so).
--
Regards,
access.

"It's a typical thing for an attic that's too hot. Ease of access has nothing to do with it. "
Yeah, well let's take a poll. I've seen lots of posts here from people asking about venting attics with fans. I don't recall hearing mention from almost all of them about the attic being used for regular access or storage. Sure, you can vent any attic, but the fact is the majority of attics in the US are not intended for regular access. They don't have flooring installed and simply have a small panel whereby with a ladder, one can get up there. Some do have stairs added, but clearly they are the minority. To do otherwise would add expenses that builders don't want or need to incur. Unless someone states the attic is being used, I'd ask before assuming it.

Here is the answer to the poll: Doug gets some sort of sick thrill from telling people they are wrong.
In real life, people avoid him because he smells and is morbidly obese. So he found usenet, and here he can display his vast knowledge about all things, and at the same time tell people they are wrong.
Don't disagree with him, because when he sees you are right and he is wrong, he will change the subject.

Are you talking about Doug, the AlphaTurd? If so, please do not pick on him; this is all he has.

Still pissed over getting busted *again* for your incorrect and dangerous electrical advice, I see. Get over it, Wade.
--
Regards,
Actually, I forgot about you getting your ass handed to you by Tom Horne, Smelly; but thanks for reminding me.

I don't know what you are referring to. If he did, Mr. Horne was in error.
That was pointed at smelly fat bastard, not you, toller.
Doug is right about the NEC rules. All cables (NM,AC etc) must be protected within 6' of the access, no matter what kind of access it is. It should also be noted that the bottom chords of manufactured trusses are usually only rated for about 2 lbs/sq ft. It is really only enough to support the ceiling drywall. Non bearing walls will still hold up the bottom chord of the truss so people do get away with packing their attics with junk but I would avoid areas where there is a long, unsupported span. It probably won't fall down but you can crack the drywall.

You're still missing the point. _Even_if_ the attic is not an "accessible attic" as defined by the code, there are still specific code requirements that apply. You can't just run wiring any way you please.

--
Regards,

Right, that doesn't meet Code.

There isn't. And that doesn't meet Code either.

"rafters"
No.
That's one way.

There are others.
1) attach boards running across the tops of the joists, and attach the wire to the boards
2) run conduit across the tops of the joists, and pass the wire through the conduit
--
Regards,
More difficult, but wouldn't armored cable be OK too?