Attic vent - Cutting large rectangular hole in stucco

An ugly messy job -- haven't done it myself but I was watching when a contractor did it on a neighbor's house to put in larger windows. They were using a worm-drive circular saw and making some pretty neat plunge cuts despite the clouds of dust. Wear a mask! Take a look at this link and see if it makes any sense:

John McGaw

I'm installing four 14" x 24" attic vents, two through wood shingle siding (easy) and two through stucco exteriored walls (hard). I need to cut two 13.5" x 23.25" rectangular holes in the stuccoed walls. How can I do this?

Tungsten carbide sawzall blades after having made holes with tungsten carbide drill bits?

Masonry cutting wheel on my Porter Cable sawboss circle saw, or some other power tool?

Is there some other way?

Thanks!

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

Diamond masonry blade; wet or dry but dry would be easier. They come in just about any standard blade size but you might as well buy a cheap harbor freight 5" saw and blade as it may cost less than an 8" blade alone. Can also find cheap saws with blades on eBay. Also good for tile, concrete and slab cutting (though a little rough).

I used one to cut a new backdoor through stucco and it was perfect and needed no pilot holes (save one to locate the stud intersection on the other side). Wear a full face shield as it is a messy bit of work. Have wire cutters handy as the chicken wire reinforcement often needs cutting when the piece comes out.

Reply to
PipeDown

Thats the cheapest and easiest way to go..7.25" masonry cutting disk on your circular saw.

Reply to
Rudy

:> Masonry cutting wheel on my Porter Cable sawboss circle saw, or some :> other power tool? : :Thats the cheapest and easiest way to go..7.25" masonry cutting disk on your :circular saw. :

That's what I did, with the help of a friend - he lent me his cordless with diamond blade. It worked like a charm.

Reply to
Dan_Musicant