Attic Louvres & Fan Question

Hi,

Guess this is my day for posting questions. Great group; sure appreciate all the help and opinions.

Have a typical colonial in New England. Have never thought about this in the past, but was wondering:

Have an attic fan mounted in a screened opening on one end of the attic. A belt driven model, that does a great job. Also has louvres mounted on the opening; when the fan is on, the louvres open automatically due to the air flow.

The opening on the other end of the attic just has a screen; no louvres.

My kids have moved into a house that also has screened openings on both ends of their attic. Was thinking of putting in a similar attic fan for them. Thus my question:

Why does one need, or want, these type of automatic openingh louvres ? Their isn't any on my other end of the attic, and no rain ever seems to get in.

Wouldn't the fan installation be just as effective without these auto-opening louvres ?

Funny that I've never thought about them, but now I really don't see what good they actually do.

Most houses I see don't seem to have them; whether there is a fan installed or not.

Thoughts on ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

It may be a matter of the prevailing winds.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Perhaps the fan and louvers came as a unit? Perhaps the louvers protect the fan from blown rain & resulting rust? TB

Reply to
tbasc

Good point. Wind-driven rain on one end gets you a wet ceiling. On the other, a shorted-out motor.

Reply to
HeyBub