Attic Louvres & Fan Question

Hi,
Guess this is my day for posting questions. Great group; sure appreciate all the help and opinions.
Have a typical colonial in New England. Have never thought about this in the past, but was wondering:
Have an attic fan mounted in a screened opening on one end of the attic. A belt driven model, that does a great job. Also has louvres mounted on the opening; when the fan is on, the louvres open automatically due to the air flow.
The opening on the other end of the attic just has a screen; no louvres.
My kids have moved into a house that also has screened openings on both ends of their attic. Was thinking of putting in a similar attic fan for them. Thus my question:
Why does one need, or want, these type of automatic openingh louvres ? Their isn't any on my other end of the attic, and no rain ever seems to get in.
Wouldn't the fan installation be just as effective without these auto-opening louvres ?
Funny that I've never thought about them, but now I really don't see what good they actually do.
Most houses I see don't seem to have them; whether there is a fan installed or not.
Thoughts on ?
Thanks, Bob
Robert11 wrote:

It may be a matter of the prevailing winds.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Perhaps the fan and louvers came as a unit? Perhaps the louvers protect the fan from blown rain & resulting rust? TB

Good point. Wind-driven rain on one end gets you a wet ceiling. On the other, a shorted-out motor.