Attic Ladder lets warm air out, cold air in

Recently the hinge on my attic ladder broke and my friend welded a reinforcement strip of metal to the hinge to prevent a repeat. The original manufacturer's design must have been a little off because the hinge had been bending over a long period of time.
Unfortunalely without holding it in place with an unused closet pole, the door now hangs down about a half inch, allowing a considrable amount of cold air into the room from the attic. I now half to close the door to that room or let my heater attempt to "catch-up".
What are my options to solve the problem. Perhaps some sort of decorative "latch" attached to the frame to hold the attic door to the ceiling. Has anyone else done this? What works best? I'd like a solution that solves the problem and still allows it to look okay. I used wood trim previously to frame out the opening and all is painted white. Buying a whole new attic ladder seems overkill and unneccessary as the ladder itself works nicely otherwise and doesn't leak air (not noticable) if fully closed.

It's also possible that the installation was "a little off", causing the hinge to be stressed when the ladder was operated.

I guess your buddy with the welder might not have gotten things lined up quite the way they were before...

Buy a replacement hinge -- you can probably get one from the manufacturer.
--
Regards,
Unfortunately, the original hinge design isn't the best. (not apparant until ladder has been used 30 or 40 times). Menards probably supplied their store from some overseas manufacturer that didn't test the design properly. Buying new from the manufacturer just recreates the original problem and I'll have another bent/broken hinge 3 years down the road.
Doug Miller wrote:

1_Patriotic_Guy wrote:

Rig a "screen door latch?" The kind that click shut under spring tension.
Beef up the springs - perhaps they're adjustable?
A counter-weight?

Bungie cords or a pair of long extension springs, screwed to the first section of ladder and the roof. Or big-ass magnets and a metal plate. How much force is needed to keep the thing in the fully closed position?
1_Patriotic_Guy wrote:

re tensioned the way they're supposed to be? In mine, the springs have to be routed over a pair of metal bars that hold them away from the opening.
I'd go to a hardware store (or even a neighbor's house) and compare with how they look when properly assembled.

imho:
I installed a sash lock on my attic door, with weather stripping around the edge.
This seems to have worked for me, but I've been looking at the "pink cap" from OC to further minimize air leakage.
tom @ www.FreeCreditCheckGuide.com