Attic Insulation Question

I bought a house that someone (some idiot) added a 200 sq ft room onto, and did not insulate the ceiling.
I bought some R25 today to roll out and it says "CAUTION;Insulation must be kept three inches away from recessed lighting fixtures unless they are marked "I.C." (insulated ceiling) - designed for direct insulation contact. Insulation placed over unrated fixtures may cause overheating and start a fire.
What exactly are they talking about?
Every room in my house has ( including the one added on) has the plain ole metal conduit boxes with ceiling fans attached.
This isn't a fire hazed, is it? Meaning that ALL of my "fixtures" have insulation over them from when the house was built.
The house was built in 84, Florida.
Ron wrote:

Hi, Keyword here is linghting fixture(which would generate heat) Tony

Keyword is "recessed", meaning a light fixture that by being located above the ceiling level, dissipates heat inside your attic rather than in the room bellow, in such cases you'd need "I.C" rated fixtures.
Guillermo

They are talking about the recessed fixtures which go "in" the ceiling, commonly known as pot lights or cans. Not your typical octagon box mounted fixtures or fans
I'm gonna piggy-back on this thread and ask my very basic question... My attic floor is insulated. Would it help if I also insulated the ceiling of the attic? My attic gets VERY hot (over 100) most of the year (most of spring, all of summer, most of fall).
Rudy wrote:

Probably not. All the insul would do is RETAIN the heat that gets into your attic. Little heat from there should transfer DOWN into your residential area(s) anyway. If you want the attic cooler, the easiest way is probably to add a ventilation fan.

question... My

the ceiling

year (most

Ventilate above the insulation to allow the heat to escape. Insulating above the attic will reduce the roof life.
Bob
jim snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMyahoo.com says...

Jim, check out the new "Radiant Barrier Paints" . They claim to keekp the heat out of your attic. Do an Interner search of "Radiant Barrier Paint", there are lots of brands. Here are a couple of links.
http://www.ceramicadditive.com/850.html http://www.hytechsales.com/prod85.html http://www.radiancecomfort.com /
Hope this helps.
HECJ
--
When Replying Remove "thepin" From Return Address