Attic insulation

I have white stuff in my attic (fibreglass, I presume) as insulation. In several places it has been walked upon and is highly compacted. The material that is close to the celing is brown and looks like cotton pieces rolled in mud. How did this happen?
Also, there is no plastic or any kind of sheet that is stapled or nailed to the attic floor below this material. All I see is plywood. Is the vapor barrier missing or am I not looking for the right thing? How do I fix this situation if indeed there is no vapor barrier?
Thanks
You seem to have two kinds of material. That's ok they just added some to the existing stuff.
Yes it should have a vapor barrier, but I would not worry too much about it. There is little you can do and the type of insulation you have is said to help.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math