Attic fan with no attic??

Hi all,
I've got a 2 story house. I have no attic as I have only cathedral ceilings. I'd like to get a fan to exhaust all the hot air from the house and pull in the cooler air through the windows (particularly when it's night-time and cooler outside than in). Since I've go not attic, I can't install an attic fan;-)
Any other alternatives? I was thinking about something high on a wall, venting to the outside, or something in the ceiling/roof, but most of the whole house fans are pretty noisy (not too much of a problem if they're in an attic), but this would have to go in a living space. Right now we run our 80cfm bathroom fan, but my guess is that it does little in a 2000 sq' house.
TIA
Bart
BRN wrote:

Big fan in a window (dbl hung). Made just for the purpose. Very effective.
Jim
You might try what they do at factories...installl a "Spinner" Cap exhaust fan. when the wind blows the spinner portasion of the cap spins and draws out the hot air
Just another idea

BRN wrote:

Good Greif! You don't need a fan, hot air rises. Put windows in the gables of your cathedral ceiling and open them at night. Cool air comes in the lower windows, hot air exits through the high windows. No noisy fans needed.
OP here. Actually that's a great idea! Unfortunately, it doesn't work sufficiently. We have 2 high-on-the-wall gable windows. Opened all night, downstairs windows open to pull cool air in. The top floor still ends up 10F warmer than the outside air in the morning. The ground floor is much closer to the ambient outside air temp.
That's why I'm investigating putting in a fan. I think to really cool off the top floor we need active, rather than passive air transfer.
Thanks for the suggestion, though:-)

A two story house might make good use of the chimney effect. This would require no energy. Fan or not, the path or paths of the air should be carefully planned.
Tom Baker
Maybe you could use a roof mounted powered attic fan
http://gallery.bcentral.com/Gallery/ProductDetails.aspx?GIDI70491&PID !17921&page=1&sortOrder=0
and make a box and install the normal louvers for an attic fan?
Hard to believe you don't have a hallway where you have some space?
Wayne

With cathedral ceilings, one solution would be to use electically operated sky lights, which will let the hot air out.
Build a frikkin attic on top of your roof, stupid !!!!
God Damn there are a lot of morons on this newsgroup today !!!!
On Wed, 12 May 2004 14:31:27 -0400, "BRN"