Attic Fan

Page 3 of 3

Good observation, Grasshoppa. Attic fans come in various types. One just draws the air out of the attic space, and can be mounted on an end. Pretty simple to cut out a square, and if it is in an area covered by any overhanging roofing, another plus. Other "attic" fans are mounted between the trusses like a pull down stair. They do the same thing, but pull the air out of the house.
It all depends on the layout of your framing, what you want the fan to do, size, etc, as to what size fan and how many you want. I did a house, and ran power to the ends of the roof. I then put in thermostatically controlled units, and it was one of the best things I ever did.
Ymmv depending on where you live.
You're right about the HD crowd. I'd find another, and a good handyman could do the job. It ain't rocket surgery installing one of these. You may have to run power to it, and if you do, PLEASE put it in conduit with boxes and do it RIGHT.
Steve
Steve

Unless its code, why would you need conduit ? If anything that might cause more vibration and noise while the fan is running.
Mikepier wrote:

I agree, I think greenfield would be more appropriate. Up to the thermoswitch, plain ol' Romex shouldn't be a problem, unless there's something I'm missing?
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

That's just the way I would do it. People write in all the time about squirrels eating wire, short circuits, loose wires, all kinds of things. I just like to do things once and do them right.
There's a hundred ways to cook a poodle, and it all tastes like chicken. Translation: lots of ways to do the same job.
Steve
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 08:41:47 -0400, Anthony Lisanti

First question you have to ask is do you want an attic vent or a whole house fan. If the former, it just involves cutting a hole in your roof and some wiring unless you go with a solar model. For a whole house fan you need to have adequate roof venting so the air can be expelled from the attic. If you have that, installing the fan is a matter of cutting a hole in your ceiling, mounting the fan and running electric to it. The electric could be the trick part depending on where your breaker box is and the like.
wrote: It's well over 100 in the summer up there. We had some cheap old fall coats up there and they actually melted to the coat rack. Not too good. My brother in law said I need to get one mounted in the roof to draw out the air, as it will save on cooling. All these guys at my local HD are real bad. Most can barely speak English. I just want something where if it goes above xx degrees, it will kick on. I have a pretty good size home too.

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 18:30:30 -0400, Anthony Lisanti

Probably need more than one. An attic is to insulate, not use for storage. If you have stuff that you'd keep up there, maybe time to throw it out.

exactly wrong.
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 18:55:44 -0500, AZ Nomad >

Nothing survives well in attic heat, and putting stuff on top of the insulation crushes it and reduces its insulating value. Besides that, most people put way too much value on stuff they already bought, if you don't want to live with it, just get rid of it. On the other point, the building codes have doubled the amount of attic vent required in the last several years, so one fan may not be enough.

Many things survive just fine in an attic, and some of us are smart enough to have plywood floors in areas where we store things, so the insulation does not get crushed. I know that is a complicated solution to an incredibly convoluted problem for some to grasp.
I also, have never seen plastic on FG insulation. I have seen paper backing, but it would be down towards the ceiling. OH, and BTW, the 7.25" of insulation you'd have with your 2x8's is only about half of what you need.

Oh, I'm sorry! If you put a plywood sheet on a 2x4, it would come down like a house of cards in the wind! Is that your latest insanity?

Anthony: the fan does not necessarily have to be in the roof, although many fans and vents are. In our case we installed fan in the in the end gable of single storey house. It draws out hot air. Fresh air comes in via the soffit vents and a vent in the gable at the other end of the house. During the winter in this fairly severe climate we close off and/or remove the fan. Right now it's on a switch but intend to put it on a thermostat so it cuts in when the attic area gets hot!

Hi, I just had a whole house fan installed and what a difference it has made. We have only used our ac 1 time and we get 90-100+ degees all summer. It cools the attic and keeps the house cool. It can cost to have it installed, but ours came with a life time warranty and we got a $100 rebate from our electric company. The cost was about $900 to install. We purchased it from the 'Home and Garden Show' in our neighbor town. Good luck, Trax

I have plywood down to walk on. I never said anything about putting stuff on top of insulation. I sit behind a desk all day and even I know not to do that.