Attic Fan

I also, have never seen plastic on FG insulation. I have seen paper backing, but it would be down towards the ceiling. OH, and BTW, the 7.25" of insulation you'd have with your 2x8's is only about half of what you need.

Steve Barker DLT

Perhaps in this case a fan could be beneficial. But so could a white roof. But you don't see many light colored roof anymore. Some people just create their own problems.

Steve Barker DLT

I agree, the (newer) garage has a light tan/off-white seamed steel roof, the attic fan in the garage was nonfunctional up until about a month ago (I finally got around to replacing the thermoswitch.) Even so it was always much cooler than the house which has a dark brown aluminum fake-shingle roof. I wish they'd used the stuff that they used on the garage on the house as well. I don't know how much difference the color makes and how much is due to the garage being shorter/more shaded, but it is significant.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Oh, I'm sorry! If you put a plywood sheet on a 2x4, it would come down like a house of cards in the wind! Is that your latest insanity?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Anthony: the fan does not necessarily have to be in the roof, although many fans and vents are. In our case we installed fan in the in the end gable of single storey house. It draws out hot air. Fresh air comes in via the soffit vents and a vent in the gable at the other end of the house. During the winter in this fairly severe climate we close off and/or remove the fan. Right now it's on a switch but intend to put it on a thermostat so it cuts in when the attic area gets hot!

Reply to
terry

You must not live in the south. Natural ventilation simply won't do the job in some cases -- I have plenty, and my attic still reaches

150 degrees without a fan (which holds it to 120 +/-).
Reply to
CJT

Dark colored roof i'll bet. And no, i live in the middle. 100 degrees only occasionally.

Steve Barker DLT

Hi, I just had a whole house fan installed and what a difference it has made. We have only used our ac 1 time and we get 90-100+ degees all summer. It cools the attic and keeps the house cool. It can cost to have it installed, but ours came with a life time warranty and we got a $100 rebate from our electric company. The cost was about $900 to install. We purchased it from the 'Home and Garden Show' in our neighbor town. Good luck, Trax

Reply to
trax

No, I have a light color roof. But I'm in Austin, Texas. We just finished a run of over 30 consecutive days with temps in the 100's.

Reply to
CJT

I'm in east Texas (near Tyler). The A/C couldn't quite keep up 3 weeks ago.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I have plywood down to walk on. I never said anything about putting stuff on top of insulation. I sit behind a desk all day and even I know not to do that.

Reply to
Anthony Lisanti

An attic exhaust fan can help. Before we installed ours, we could feel the heat coming off the upstairs ceiling, even though we have reasonably good insulation (of course one can always use more, so that's an alternative to reach the same goal). Now the ceiling is cool. The downside is that the electricity to run the fan isn't free. However, I think (haven't figured out how to prove, though) that the decreased load on the A/C pays to power the fan, and the A/C should last longer now that it isn't working as hard.

Remember, though, that typically only something like 20% of your heat gain (as I recall) is through the ceiling.

It's all a big balancing act.

Reply to
CJT

The facts are that heat enters the home via radiation, convection and conduction. Its better and cheaper to use passive measures rather than electricity- which costs more every day. A white or light colored roof reflects the heat away from the inside of the home. Polyurethane insulation is better by far than fiber glass , its also best when sprayed in as it takes up the shape of the space and fills all the holes. Polystyrene fitted under the ceiling stops the the remaining heat conducted by the wood frame. Perry

Reply to
PerryOne

A ridge vent does nothing. a fan is necessary

OK I will bite why is a fan necessary?

Reply to
Mike

are you argueing with yourself?