Attic Fan

Page 2 of 3

Steve Barker DLT wrote:

Well, not really...average longevity is significantly higher now than turn of the century. At least some small fraction of that is undoubtedly related to housing.
As for the other part, there's a lot of evidence both ways.
✖
With no A/C imagine how bad they smelled!!!
On Aug 22, 7:46 pm, "Steve Barker DLT"

Add pictures here
✖
right? there's a right and wrong? it was certainly more efficient. These overblown trophy houses are just rediculous.
and for years houses had minimal closets, smallish bedrooms and too few bthrooms- that means it was the right thing to do?
Add pictures here
✖
Steve Barker DLT wrote:

Well, that's an entirely different subject.
✖
Having lived in new construction (2000) standard 4 BR/2.5 bath and now in a 1935 home I say a new home is 1000X better and easier to live in than an old one. Yes the old one has nice chestnut trim but thats it.

Add pictures here
✖
I'll take my 1877 story and a half any day. Thanks.

✖
Steve Barker DLT wrote:

We went hundreds of years without air conditioning, or even electricity. What's your point?

✖
the point i was trying to make was that we don't really need FANS to ventilate an attic. A few simple roof vents and eave vents does just fine.

✖
On Aug 23, 8:48 am, "Steve Barker DLT"

If you don't have that option, fans can help. case in point, my house - the roof ends right at the side of the house, no overhang - therefore no vents there. PO's put on a new metal roof, so I am not inclined to try to retrofit a ridge vent. The only vents are the two in the end walls of the house. A fan in this application makes sense to me, unless I were to have someone come in and reframe the attic to put a modern-style roof on it, which sounds a lot more expensive.
nate
Add pictures here
✖
Perhaps in this case a fan could be beneficial. But so could a white roof. But you don't see many light colored roof anymore. Some people just create their own problems.

✖
I agree, the (newer) garage has a light tan/off-white seamed steel roof, the attic fan in the garage was nonfunctional up until about a month ago (I finally got around to replacing the thermoswitch.) Even so it was always much cooler than the house which has a dark brown aluminum fake-shingle roof. I wish they'd used the stuff that they used on the garage on the house as well. I don't know how much difference the color makes and how much is due to the garage being shorter/more shaded, but it is significant.
nate
On Aug 23, 1:37 pm, "Steve Barker DLT"

Add pictures here
✖
Steve Barker DLT wrote:

You must not live in the south. Natural ventilation simply won't do the job in some cases -- I have plenty, and my attic still reaches 150 degrees without a fan (which holds it to 120 +/-).
✖
Dark colored roof i'll bet. And no, i live in the middle. 100 degrees only occasionally.

✖
Steve Barker DLT wrote:

No, I have a light color roof. But I'm in Austin, Texas. We just finished a run of over 30 consecutive days with temps in the 100's.

✖

I'm in east Texas (near Tyler). The A/C couldn't quite keep up 3 weeks ago.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Mark Lloyd wrote:

An attic exhaust fan can help. Before we installed ours, we could feel the heat coming off the upstairs ceiling, even though we have reasonably good insulation (of course one can always use more, so that's an alternative to reach the same goal). Now the ceiling is cool. The downside is that the electricity to run the fan isn't free. However, I think (haven't figured out how to prove, though) that the decreased load on the A/C pays to power the fan, and the A/C should last longer now that it isn't working as hard.
Remember, though, that typically only something like 20% of your heat gain (as I recall) is through the ceiling.
It's all a big balancing act.

✖
The facts are that heat enters the home via radiation, convection and conduction. Its better and cheaper to use passive measures rather than electricity- which costs more every day. A white or light colored roof reflects the heat away from the inside of the home. Polyurethane insulation is better by far than fiber glass , its also best when sprayed in as it takes up the shape of the space and fills all the holes. Polystyrene fitted under the ceiling stops the the remaining heat conducted by the wood frame. Perry
Add pictures here
✖
A ridge vent does nothing. a fan is necessary
OK I will bite why is a fan necessary?
Add pictures here
✖

are you argueing with yourself?