Attic Fan

Probably need more than one. An attic is to insulate, not use for storage. If you have stuff that you'd keep up there, maybe time to throw it out.

Reply to
Chris Hill

bigjimpack

OH PLEASE.

this attic fan bs is just another yuppifed fad . We went hundreds of years without them.

A ridge vent does noth>>> OP probably better off with ridge vent, that doesnt run up electric

Reply to
Steve Barker DLT

and for years houses had minimal closets, smallish bedrooms and too few bthrooms- that means it was the right thing to do?

Reply to
bigjimpack
[...top posting repaired...]

Even more to the point, no insulation, single-glaze windows, no vapor/air barriers, etc., etc., etc., ...

--

Reply to
dpb

Touche! :)

But, the point that new-fangled stuff ain't necessarily a yuppie fad is real... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Now, be logical. If you don't have vapor barriers, no insulation, poor fitup and joints, lots of drafts, etc, etc, etc, you have enough air transfer not to need an attic fan.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB

right? there's a right and wrong? it was certainly more efficient. These overblown trophy houses are just rediculous.

Steve Barker DLT

Yeah and everyone survived.. AND with more integrity and morals to boot.

Steve Barker DLT

exactly wrong.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Well, not really...average longevity is significantly higher now than turn of the century. At least some small fraction of that is undoubtedly related to housing.

As for the other part, there's a lot of evidence both ways.

--

Reply to
dpb

... Well, that's an entirely different subject.

--

Reply to
dpb

Having lived in new construction (2000) standard 4 BR/2.5 bath and now in a 1935 home I say a new home is 1000X better and easier to live in than an old one. Yes the old one has nice chestnut trim but thats it.

. =A0 These

Reply to
bigjimpack

With no A/C imagine how bad they smelled!!!

Reply to
bigjimpack

I'll take my 1877 story and a half any day. Thanks.

Steve Barker DLT

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 18:55:44 -0500, AZ Nomad >

Nothing survives well in attic heat, and putting stuff on top of the insulation crushes it and reduces its insulating value. Besides that, most people put way too much value on stuff they already bought, if you don't want to live with it, just get rid of it. On the other point, the building codes have doubled the amount of attic vent required in the last several years, so one fan may not be enough.

Reply to
Chris Hill

We went hundreds of years without air conditioning, or even electricity. What's your point?

Reply to
CJT

Many things survive just fine in an attic, and some of us are smart enough to have plywood floors in areas where we store things, so the insulation does not get crushed. I know that is a complicated solution to an incredibly convoluted problem for some to grasp.

Reply to
salty

the point i was trying to make was that we don't really need FANS to ventilate an attic. A few simple roof vents and eave vents does just fine.

Steve Barker DLT

If you don't have that option, fans can help. case in point, my house

- the roof ends right at the side of the house, no overhang - therefore no vents there. PO's put on a new metal roof, so I am not inclined to try to retrofit a ridge vent. The only vents are the two in the end walls of the house. A fan in this application makes sense to me, unless I were to have someone come in and reframe the attic to put a modern-style roof on it, which sounds a lot more expensive.

nate

Reply to
N8N