Attic Fan

Page 1 of 3

I have no attic fan to draw out warm air in the summer, and I was wondering how difficult this is to install?
Or, who can I call to have this put in? I don't know if I trust going to home deport and getting a list of contractors from them. I mean, the people at my HD are like clueless zombies, so how good could the contractors be?
Tony

Do not let HD handle this. The electric part is easy. Its the installation on the roof thats important. You might be better off calling a roofer to put it in because although its straighfoward, it requires a certain way of putting it in without leaks on your roof. I put in a range hood vent myself and it was easy. Here is an excellent video I saw that gave me confidence to do it myself. Although this is for a bathroom vent, the principle is the same.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gee3itzjOG0
Or go to Broan's website and look up the installation manual for one of their attic fans.Like I said its pretty straightfoward.

Do not let HD handle this.
snip
If the jerks at the big-box stores knew anything about the trades they wouldn't be there working for minimum wage.
PanHandler wrote:

Hey dick head, there are a lot of retired, licensed trades people working at the big box stores!! Their biggest problem is jerks like you who know everything about everything...and want to prove it at every turn.
Curmudgeon wrote:

Not around here there's not. That may be true in some areas but around here I've got 3 HD's all populated by worthless jagoffs.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

You only prove his point when you post in such a moronic manner.
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 14:54:41 -0400, Curmudgeon

Well I am curious then, why they would work there instead of working parttime in the trade they worked in and are licensed in. Couldn't they make the same money in much less time?
mm wrote:

Skilled trades, among other things, are usually hard physical work. The semi-retired elder gents the big-boxes hire seldom have to do heavy lifting or get sweaty. It's also warmer in winter and cooler in summer than out on the jobsite. Some do it just because the wife chased them out of the house six months after they retired, some do it because their bodies can't take the jobsite any more, some do it because the local work dried up and they can't afford to move, or can't move due to family considerations. And at the big box, you aren't at the mercy of the feast-or-famine nature of construction work. And some, sadly, do it because they are alone and want the human contact, and/or a chance to feel they still have expertise to offer. Haven't seen many silver-hairs at the local Menards, but the Lowes has several. One in particular in the plumbing area has been very helpful to me several times. (A plumber I am not.)
-- aem sends...

Wiring aside, a handyman type of person can do the install. He may or may not be capable of doing electric or be allowed under the regulations. Take a look in your attic. Even an unoccupied space may have a light fixture up there that has adequate power for the fan.
Installation may be simple for a fan in the gable vent or much more complex for one going through the roof. You also want to be sure you have proper soffit venting and add a ridge vent if you don't have one.

If it means cutting the roof to install, I wouldn't trust a HD contractor near such a job. Have a qualified roofer with many years in the business install it physically, then call an electrician to wire it.
Anthony Lisanti wrote:

There is nothing wrong with warm air in the attic. If you have the normal vents and the floor insulated from below.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

Blattus Slafaly wrote:

If you have a dark colored roof, the temps in the attic can get way above ambient in the summer, reducing the effectiveness of the insulation in the upper floor ceiling (remember, heat transmission is a function of the difference in temperature.) Simply pulling outside air through the attic *can* make a difference, esp. if the area is not well vented to begin with. I am definitely adding one of these to my house whenever it cools off enough to get up in the attic to work.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

OP probably better off with ridge vent, that doesnt run up electric bill and is silent.......
A ridge vent does nothing. a fan is necessary

OH PLEASE.
this attic fan bs is just another yuppifed fad . We went hundreds of years without them.

and for years houses had minimal closets, smallish bedrooms and too few bthrooms- that means it was the right thing to do?
On Aug 22, 9:29am, "Steve Barker DLT"

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
[...top posting repaired...]

> and for years houses had minimal closets, smallish bedrooms and too > few bthrooms- that means it was the right thing to do?
Even more to the point, no insulation, single-glaze windows, no vapor/air barriers, etc., etc., etc., ...

Now, be logical. If you don't have vapor barriers, no insulation, poor fitup and joints, lots of drafts, etc, etc, etc, you have enough air transfer not to need an attic fan.
Steve ;-)
SteveB wrote:

Touche! :)
But, the point that new-fangled stuff ain't necessarily a yuppie fad is real... :)
Yeah and everyone survived.. AND with more integrity and morals to boot.